Sacred ?

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
PaSquall
Steward

Sacred ?

Post by PaSquall »

Anyone played it ? I intend to begin it soon, but I'd like to have some input, tips, opinions, advice...
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

I bought Sacred. I really enjoyed it for about 10 hours, then it sorta drained me. I don't know....uninteresting story, too many mindless quests...I'm not sure, but I didn't get more than 10 hours out of it before giving up.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

It didn't hold my interest very long either.

I think my biggest problem was constant combat, you could not explore without fighting hordes of monsters every 10 feet.

The setting and quests were ok at best too. I like the graphics and look of the game though. I always thought if they would have less but more difficult combat the game would have been much better.
focus
Apprentice

Post by focus »

I finished Sacred a couple of years ago. Enjoyed it but definitely a combat RPG, with very thin quests just leading to the next round of destruction.

I bought the expansion as well but other than installing it never really bothered to play more than a couple of hours. Just seemed more of the same.

The fact that I found the game uses the Starforce copy-protection also put me off re-installing it and having another go.
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

I couldn't get into it. All those Diablo-ish games (Diablo included) just bore me too much. Sacred, Diablo, Titan Quest, Dungeon Siege etc all have no redeeming feature. I really tried to like TQ and Sacred because of the setting of the former and the sheer size and number of quests in the latter, but that style of gameplay does nothing for me at all. I end up feeling like I'm wasting my time (something that I'm feeling more and more with games these days), there's just nothing to sink my teeth into, nothing to be interested in and zero feeling of accomplishment.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!
mytgroo
Steward

Post by mytgroo »

Kill someone, wander around, get jumped kill some more, find better weapon, kill some more, get poisoned, drink antidote, drink strength potion, kill something bigger and nastier. Oops where is the map. This map is awkward. Sacred gets boring very quickly because it is almost all hack and slah.
I am Myt where's the cheese dip.
Lucifiel
Apprentice

Post by Lucifiel »

Ooh Sacred... that ill-fated project which was sold to another company and where ALL the plot was stripped out, so the game could be turned into a soulless rpg.

Yes... the plot was like 70% to 80% completed before the developers ran out of funding. The other company who bought over the license ended up ripping out everything and decided to turn it into a hack and slash RPG.

Anyone interested in reading about this can check out this thread and yeah, some of my posts in that thread were really off 'cos my brain was completely tired:
http://www.larian.com/ubbthreads/showfl ... o=&fpart=1
hordolur
Initiate

Post by hordolur »

too me Sacred wasn't that great of an RPG, did have some funny stuff in the game, gravestones and NPC names etc...
I was normal once, but didn't like it
Krafen
Council Member

Post by Krafen »

A last-minute changed to Sacred explains a lot. The hints of what it might have been kept drawing me back to try it again, but I would lose interest in the reality of the game after a bit each time.

As for Titan Quest, that one really drew me in. I'm not sure quite what it was, but I think the setting had a lot to do with it. Not enough for me to reply on the higher difficulties, but I did finish the game at the base difficulty.
Grue
Steward

Post by Grue »

Lucifiel wrote:Ooh Sacred... that ill-fated project which was sold to another company and where ALL the plot was stripped out, so the game could be turned into a soulless rpg.
Good grief, that sounds awful! I remember playing Sacred (way back when) and thinking how there was so much potential in the engine, but so little offered by the actual game. This explains it. What a shame! Like we didn't have enough Diablo clones already! Sheesh! :x
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Lucifiel
Apprentice

Post by Lucifiel »

Grue wrote:
Lucifiel wrote:Ooh Sacred... that ill-fated project which was sold to another company and where ALL the plot was stripped out, so the game could be turned into a soulless rpg.
Good grief, that sounds awful! I remember playing Sacred (way back when) and thinking how there was so much potential in the engine, but so little offered by the actual game. This explains it. What a shame! Like we didn't have enough Diablo clones already! Sheesh! :x
Diablo1 was fun for a while until I realised that it was nothing but levels after levels of dungeons... yikes. By the time I finished it, I was terrified of "dungeon crawls". Oh and I'm not so interested in dungeon crawling as in good characterisation, excellent dialogues, great voice-acting, etc. For these reasons, I'd even gladly surrender "player freedom" and much interactivity for a good experience in any game.*

Speaking about Sacred, I got two thoughts:

a) Ah well... I actually wonder why the developers didn't "shorten" the plot a little instead of letting the project run out of funding. It might've "cheapened" the game a little but at least it would've been released provided they could find a publisher.

b) Also, why do developers love to go for a "full-blown" game instead of having episodic games? If development costs of a full-blown 3d game are so high, then developers should consider having episodic games as an option. That way, you can be innovative and push ahead with technology instead of confining yourself to a long-running development cycle which costs millions of dollars and often pits your published game against many other similar products.

I guess the problem is finding a publisher who'd accept such a format and also, whether the fans would accept it. But the way the industry seems to be heading(less publisher choices and demand for high quality graphics, etc.), I wouldn't be surprised if development costs of an average "full length" game would rise up to double digits like 20 to 30 million in a few years' time. Btw, for an rpg game, I've heard the costs are around 7 to 8 million.

* I consider all games to be role-playing to a certain degree since you're often playing as someone different from yourself. You certainly can't be a vampire, a Jedi master, a 13th century samurai or even a talking chicken in real life(well, unless you are a loony bin!). Yes, yes... everyone reading this: don't knock me. ;)
ttomm46
Senior Steward

Post by ttomm46 »

Was really fun at first but the constant combat got old fast..didn't come close to finishing :shock: