The Role, my own roleplaying game.

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Samppu
Pledge

The Role, my own roleplaying game.

Post by Samppu »

Hello everyone!

I really loved to play Eschalons, and I got great inspiration of them to my own game called The Role.

I started to create this game before playing Eschalons, so you cant tell me I copied something. I can say, that this is very different from Eschalon. Some people doesn't like this, but I am calling it roguelike - but it's not roguelike, I think. It has realtime combat, and it's story driven, so it's not completely roguelike.

Okay, but The Role is very much like Eschalon, because they are both open world RPG games. In the beginning of The Role you will choose your race, class, name etc. just like in Eschalon. Then, you are free to go where ever you want.

The game is currently very short, and I didn't make main story complete, because I needed to publish this game to a contest (voting is 18.8.2010). Because it's short now, doesn't mean it always will be, because I made it, umm... "update based". This means, that the game will automatically download add-ons that I am working on all the time. Shortly, there will come a new area, called "The Goblin Lands". I am working on it all the time.

I need to advertise my game because our forum is lacking of having English people. We all are Finnish, and the forums, site, everything is in English, so it feels little bit wasting that I have wrote everything in English and all players are from my country. And this is why my English is very bad, I am just 15 years old Finnish kid with English grade 8-9.

So, if you are going to play the game, I really hope you join our forums. And please, when you are playing the game, you will very soon find out that the English is pretty bad. I am studying hard to learn English, and if I just can, I will fix the language to proper English.

Okay, here is the link to game site: http://therole.viuhka.fi

PS. I really hope a good understanding with my graphical skills; I am not good in computer arts, but game's fans have liked the graphical style so far. If you check the news, you can see I have made some progress, and now some sprites are colored.

I hope I'll see you on the forums!
dogthenine
Initiate

Re: The Role, my own roleplaying game.

Post by dogthenine »

Some screenshots of the game would be nice.
I never play anything without seeing what it looks like first.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

dogthenine wrote:Some screenshots of the game would be nice.
I never play anything without seeing what it looks like first.
Dogthenine, you might want to look at the dates of the posts your responding to and also look to see if said person has posted since then. The post you responded to is almost 2 years old. :)

And to your statement of never playing without seeing before hand. I do the same, AND I look to see if there are demo's to play for free (without time limits!!!). If I like it then, I will buy it.
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
dogthenine
Initiate

Post by dogthenine »

yeah, i replied to some old posts :)
I just kept finding so many posts i liked, i kept going back.

I only recently stumbled upon these more retro games and am eating it up.
While they won't ever surpass my love for something such as Oblivion, with the more modern graphics than the days of yore, this top-down/3rd person/retro style game does fill a void that modern RPG's don't. I absolutely would love to play something like Baldur's Gate 2 or Might and Magic with slightly upgraded graphics AND eschelons AWESOME turn-based setup. I find the MM/Baldur's gate turn-based setup incredibly slow and annoying in this day and age.

Anyway I guess I am off-topic. I'm just still looking for more of these wonderful independent RPG's that I can sink my teeth into. That's why I would have liked some screens for this game to see if it was something else I would have enjoyed.

cheers