What we like and don't in an RPG

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
MegaHassan
Steward

Re: What we like and don't in an RPG

Post by MegaHassan »

sirdilznik wrote:I, like most here, also generally dislike jRPGs. However, like anything else, there are exceptions. I find Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, Seiken Densetsu III, and many of the Dragon Quest games to be quite excellent. Pretty much all the rest of the jRPGs out there I more often than not can't be bothered with. I'll pass on the teen angsty stories of feminine emo guys with spiky hair that carry swords one and a half times the size of their body.
Agreed. 100%. I'll take my ballsy Gothic/Elder Scrolls/Baldurs Gate/Wizardry/Ultima over the sissy JRPG's any day. ESPECIALLY the over abundance of lame RPG Maker games. But some of the ealry games like Phantasy Star and Shining Force were pretty good, too bad the genre has been totally bastardized
sirdilznik wrote:
KarlXII wrote:uhh...what is jRPG ?
Japanese RPG as opposed to Western RPG. Generally speaking spiky haired people, 3 or so person party, combat system where a menu pops up and you select from: "Attack", "Defend", "Magic", "Item", etc..., wacky stories where the main villain winds up being your brother... who misses his mommy... and he's somehow a demi-god... and wants to destroy everybody so he can become the greatest of all gods (or similar such craziness).
Not to mention linear game pattern that works more like an adventure game with turn based combat and levelling up (not to mention that in most games theres NO character buildng so levelling up is totally useless

Although I think Bioware's latest Dragon Age Origins has a lot of JRPGisms (at least on the console version, on the PC version you can zoom out and play it like you'd play Baldurs Gate - to an extent), and I've grown tired of the same general game mechanics theyve had since KOTOR (supposedly huge world but you cant really 'walk' everywhere like in Gothic or Elder Scrolls and shit, more of a focus on story - heck, sometimes the game gets so boring but you want to continue to find out what happens next), they're still way better. The stories are compelling for one thing, and combat is ALWAYS a fun affair - especially in Mass Effect (not sure about 2, I heard they turned the combat into a dull action game style??). I guess Bioware does a good job of bridging the 2 styles - bringing the best of both worlds. Wait... I'm rambling XD
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

MegaHassan wrote:*snip* ...and I've grown tired of the same general game mechanics theyve had since KOTOR (supposedly huge world but you cant really 'walk' everywhere... *snip*
I totally agree, that drives me crazy. If I can see the rest of the town let me walk there. Even if there is absolutely nothing of importance there and I'm just wasting my time let me walk over there and waste my time. Heck I spent hours in TES IV: Oblivion jumping from rooftop to rooftop. It had nothing to do with the plot of the game and there was no tangible benefit except the fact that it kept me occupied and amused me for hours on end. I really appreciate having such freedom in a game.
Will Pay For Cloth Map
DrDungeon
Initiate

Post by DrDungeon »

After reading all these insights, I am happy to report that the BLOG for
Ultizurk IV: Lord of the Cyclops, has been updated. Let me know what you think.
-Rob

http://web.me.com/drdungeon/Site/MAIN.html