Avadon and Eschalon

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Avadon and Eschalon

Post by Painted Lady »

I'm currently playing SpiderWeb's new game (Avadon), and I'm really enjoying it. The graphics feel much more contemporary than the previous ones did, and that gives everything a less primitive feel. As always, the sheer size of the game is impressive. It's a lot of fun to immerse yourself in that complicated world.

As a CRPG fan I feel fortunate to have not one, but two, talented studios creating wonderful games to play. I especially like the fact they both use turn-based combat, which is near and dear to my heart.

The big difference I see between the two worlds is in the solo vs. multi-player decision. It seems to me that with the multi-player system your goal in creating the characters is to achieve balance. This leads to someone being skilled in heavy combat, someone being a talented mage, etc. Therefore you wind up with no glaring weaknesses in your party.

With the single player system, you have to figure out how to maximize your strengths and minimize your inevitable weaknesses. This is what makes Eshcalon so re-playable. One time you're strong, the next crafty, the next time a mage, etc. The complexity of the character creation is Eschalon is a terrific bonus IMHO.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Re: Avadon and Eschalon

Post by Dragonlady »

Painted Lady wrote:I'm currently playing SpiderWeb's new game (Avadon), and I'm really enjoying it. The graphics feel much more contemporary than the previous ones did, and that gives everything a less primitive feel. As always, the sheer size of the game is impressive. It's a lot of fun to immerse yourself in that complicated world.

As a CRPG fan I feel fortunate to have not one, but two, talented studios creating wonderful games to play. I especially like the fact they both use turn-based combat, which is near and dear to my heart.

The big difference I see between the two worlds is in the solo vs. multi-player decision. It seems to me that with the multi-player system your goal in creating the characters is to achieve balance. This leads to someone being skilled in heavy combat, someone being a talented mage, etc. Therefore you wind up with no glaring weaknesses in your party.

With the single player system, you have to figure out how to maximize your strengths and minimize your inevitable weaknesses. This is what makes Eshcalon so re-playable. One time you're strong, the next crafty, the next time a mage, etc. The complexity of the character creation is Eschalon is a terrific bonus IMHO.
:) I totally agree. And, like you, been playing Avadon for hours! Lots and lots of side quests that I like to help build up levels. Just finished the Dragon's quest to get rid of the Wretches and am exploring under the main level..where his hoard is tempting me! :D

I find it frustrating at times and other times I think it is a good feature, to try and find those blasted hidden buttons that open secret doors. :lol:
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
nigmashumma
Initiate

Post by nigmashumma »

Until there is a version for windows, I can not enjoy this game.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

nigmashumma wrote:Until there is a version for windows, I can not enjoy this game.
Soon Grasshopper, soon. :roll:

Probably in another month maybe two. :)
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

More likely 3 months for the Windows version. Jeff's still working on the Mac application store version and wants to learn how to program the game for the iPad.
fudgemaster
Apprentice

Post by fudgemaster »

Randomizer wrote:More likely 3 months for the Windows version. Jeff's still working on the Mac application store version and wants to learn how to program the game for the iPad.
I would definitely buy it for the iPad.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

Personally, I think the iPad is the platform of the future....
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

If you said "tablet" instead of "ipad" I *might* agree. But tablets in general are still a bit too awkward.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

Well, I can only speak for myself, of course, but I am beyond crazy about my iPad. Just got the iPad2 and find I use it more and my Mac less all the time.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Painted Lady wrote:Well, I can only speak for myself, of course, but I am beyond crazy about my iPad. Just got the iPad2 and find I use it more and my Mac less all the time.
I got one for my husband last August for anniversary present, ipad that is. He uses it constantly while watching tv! Now he doesn't have to ask me or our son to look stuff up. He didn't want to get up to go into the small bedroom where his computer was and miss stuff on the tv. :) Now myself and son can use our own computers in peace. :D
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

I use my Android phone for Googling. The only thing I like the tablets for is having a larger screen to play some of the apps out there. Problem is, the 10" models are just to bulky, and for the price I can purchase a much more powerful laptop... and with patience to wait for a deal, a just-as-portable laptop.

I think once a flood of decent 7" units hits the market, I'll be more interested. Angry Birds on a 7" screen (with smooth performance) would be awesome. :mrgreen: Here's hoping that the 7" Xoom isn't as overpriced as it's 10" sibling.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Just thought I'd let everyone know that Avadon can now be played on the iPad. (son told me) Don't know if anything was left out or if it's simplified or just like regular game.

I still haven't finished yet as I was too sick and couldn't take the rise in blood pressure when I played. :(
noname
Marshall

Post by noname »

Just checked the Spiderweb site and Avadon is available for windows.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Dragonlady wrote:Just thought I'd let everyone know that Avadon can now be played on the iPad. (son told me) Don't know if anything was left out or if it's simplified or just like regular game.

I still haven't finished yet as I was too sick and couldn't take the rise in blood pressure when I played. :(
From Jeff Vogel:
The iPad version is cheaper ($9.99) for a number of reasons.

1. It has fewer features, due to the limitations of the device. Most notably, it is stuck at a low (1024x768) resolution and there are no keyboard shortcuts.
2. Since it is being sold by Apple, it is subject to the rules of their system. Most notably, there is DRM, and we can't give refunds through iTunes.
3. There is no ability to modify the game.
4. There is no demo.
5. The iPad version will always come out several months after the Mac/PC version.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

You'd figure by the time you're releasing games for Windows, Mac, AND iPad it wouldn't be that hard to do a Linux release, too.

Thanks, BW, for taking care of us Linux users. :)