Theyrin - an indie RPG (WIP)

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
bit_abuser
Initiate

Theyrin - an indie RPG (WIP)

Post by bit_abuser »

Hey everybody :)

Recently I was inspired by games like Avernum and Eschalon to create my own game and I thought I'll share it with a crowd that might be interested :)

It's still very early work in progress, so if anyone is interested I can post once in a while with updates. I'm mostly working with the engine now to have the basics working and making some graphics (all drawn by me with pixels ;) )

I'll paste this from another forum:
To keep me motivated I'm thinking about this as chapter 1 set on an island which is not very large, so I can create a working game as soon as possible and when that's not concentrate on creating other parts of the world.

My target audience is people who enjoyed titles like Fallout (1,2), Arcanum, Planescape: Torment and it'll hopefully be similar in many ways to those games.

The basic setting is a post-apocalyptic world, mostly flooded with lots of islands and primitive tribal societies (with an occasional high-tech artifact thrown in) but also with some fantasy influence (maybe magic, which could actually be just applying ancient technology, which no one understands anymore).

Combat will be turn based, very Fallout-ish, but with a bit more movement freedom. I'll try to include quite a bit of npc's, dialogue, quests and multiple moral choices.
I've been working on this project in my spare time and I've started about a month ago.

Here's the current version and a screenshot:

http://theyrin.webd.pl/images/Theyrin.exe

I'd love some c+c :)
Last edited by bit_abuser on May 10th, 2011, 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
geishaboy
Marshall

Re: Theyrin - an indie RPG (WIP)

Post by geishaboy »

I can already tell that I would like the interface :)

I also like the premise. Flooded with lot's of islands? I'm guessing this is post global warming or something?
bit_abuser
Initiate

Post by bit_abuser »

I can already tell that I would like the interface
I hope you will, I'm still not sure if I should use the current method of movement (holding the right mouse button) or use the more traditional point and click deal. I found the movement in Eschalon slightly tiring, though the middle mouse button worked well :)
I also like the premise. Flooded with lot's of islands? I'm guessing this is post global warming or something?
You will now about it as much as your character does. Very little. There was an advanced civilization on the planet, but that is ancient history, maybe they destroyed themselves with wars, maybe it was a natural disaster. Maybe it's not even Earth ;)

Started working on the interface today.

[EDIT] Oh wow, sorry for stretching the forums, is that okay, or should I change those screenshots to links?
bit_abuser
Initiate

Post by bit_abuser »

Concept art for the main character:

dogeddie
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by dogeddie »

Looking good! Keep it up!
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Wow you have made quite a bit of progress in just a month. Much farther than I did in a month when I tried to make my own game.

Please keep posting updates as we need more indy RPGs!

Curious what your using for your engine programming?
bit_abuser
Initiate

Post by bit_abuser »

Thank you for your kind words :)

I'm not going to abandon this project, don't worry, I'm prepared for it to take a year or two (I'm guessing the progress will slow down once I start coding the more technical things like turn-based combat).
Curious what your using for your engine programming?
Well I'm not really a programmer (yet! ;) ), so it won't sound very professional, but I'm using GM8 (coding most things in GML). It definitely has the capabilities to do everything I need and there's a strong community behind it, so I can always get some help when I hit a wall.

Graphics are done with GIMP and GM's built in sprite editor. They will get a lot better soon, I'm still learning about pixel art.
bit_abuser
Initiate

Post by bit_abuser »

A different approach:

Enterian
Apprentice

Post by Enterian »

Nice! Like Saxon1974 said, you've made quite some progress in just a month.

Great looking concept-art! I hope you'll use the art in the game, like an intro or loading screen or other window backgrounds :)
if you replace the white background with something like a papyrus texture, it'll look great for in a game :p

Keep up the good work!
bit_abuser
Initiate

Post by bit_abuser »

Thanks a lot :)

The drawing was made for me by a friend many years for another project that was never finished so I decided to use it now instead. I need to contact him soon, maybe he'll be interested in making some more art for the game.
bit_abuser
Initiate

Post by bit_abuser »

bit_abuser
Initiate

Post by bit_abuser »

bit_abuser
Initiate

Post by bit_abuser »

Every hero needs a mentor :)
bit_abuser
Initiate

Post by bit_abuser »

bit_abuser
Initiate

Post by bit_abuser »

I don't seem to be getting a lot of feedback and posting on multiple forums takes a bit too much time, so if you're interested in this project's progress please check it out here:

http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php ... sc&start=0