Legend of Grimrock

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Re: Legend of Grimrock

Post by Lord_P »

More on the refreshing difficulty of this game: I think I spent most of my time on Level 3 running back and forth between the Crystal of Life. Damn spiders always got atleast one prisoner!
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

Does it scare the crap out of anyone else when the dungeon shakes violently and sounds like its gonna cave in on you?

Its happened 3 times so far and every time i jump and run around looking for a safe place to hide LOL

Reminds me of when i first played DOOM in my brothers workshop after hours and when i left there was only 1 light on in the empty parking lot, just over my work van. That always gave me goosebumps.

Anyone else using unarmed? I find it great for a monk type, and i hit more often, get missed more often, and dont need to worry about weapons.
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

blatherbeard wrote:Anyone else using unarmed? I find it great for a monk type, and i hit more often, get missed more often, and dont need to worry about weapons.
Funny you should ask this. I nearly finished the game with a traditional party of heroes, but decided to restart with a party of dedicated monks. Two in front I went pure unarmed, two in back are ranged weapons. I am crushing the game with this configuration! :twisted:
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Grue
Steward

Post by Grue »

With regards to missile weapons, there's a sling to be found on dungeon level 2 (i.e. one level before the bow, mentioned above). It uses the ubiquitous rocks for ammo, naturally.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

I felt so proud of my team when I defeated a four man squad of skeletons. Also to use ammo, do I have to equip it in what slot?
Grue
Steward

Post by Grue »

Lord_P wrote:Also to use ammo, do I have to equip it in what slot?
You have to "wield" it, i.e. have it your hand. This means using missile weapons takes two hands, one for the weapon and the other for the ammo.

Speaking of ammo, even if arrows seem sparse, they can be reused just like thrown weapons, so it is not that big of an issue for archers. HOwever, this limited supply means, you won't be "machine-gunning" arrows, which is good, IMO. Do note, that enchanted arrows lose their enchantment once they hit an enemy and become "regular" arrows, but can be reused then as normal. If you miss your foe with an enchanted arrow and hit a wall, the enchantment is NOT lost, which is nice.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
severian
Senior Steward

Post by severian »

the game is cute, but it looks like half-finished.

it`s good, that it`s simple. but it`s too basic.

4 races - fine, 3 professions ? but no VERY oldschool cleric type ?
stats issue - it`s not a bug, it`s a feature.
small bestiary - gets boring and repetitive.as well as the very dungeon.
riddles - too much copypasta.

graphics, interface, sound - all done very well.
I wish for some clones or remakes were done using that kinds of resources, like:
Yendorian Tales part 2 and 3 were great. Wizardry 6 and 7 - superb. even oldies like Castle of the Winds had more "meat" on them.
remake of any of those, looking like Grimrock....that would be something to bite on.

anyway,the game works fine as an apetizer. but there is no main dish coming, and I`d like more fresh meat :twisted:
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

Have you heard about the dungeon editor they are planning to release? That sounds too awesome.
Xex
Apprentice

Post by Xex »

Editor is out and it's free!!:D
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

I loved this game,

til i got to the lvl with all the levers and traps, and i stopped playing.

but definitly worht the cash i spent, even though ill never get past these pits.
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

Thank you Xex for bringing this topic back to life... maybe.

Off-topic: The site (this forum) has felt awfully slow for the last few weeks.