Legend of Grimrock

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Legend of Grimrock

Post by Painted Lady »

I just tried to pre-order and ran into a problem paying via my Amazon account. There was a screen that tried to get me to change my password. With all of the hijacked web sites around I backed off immediately. Will order later when I trust the payment system.....
llew silverhand
Senior Council Member

Post by llew silverhand »

Hmm, odd. I used Google Pay (since I use that for my Android anyways) on the dev purchase I made, and CC for my GoG one. Hope that gets resolves so you (and others!) can buy the game)
Llew Silverhand - Once and Future Gnome King
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

I'll almost certainly be pre-ordering this from GOG. :mrgreen:
Will Pay For Cloth Map
llew silverhand
Senior Council Member

For those folks that don't like Steam - the dev will now have it available for download directly from their site (you will also receive a Steam key from them, but will not be required to use it, if I understand correctly).

http://www.grimrock.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=120
llew silverhand
Senior Council Member

Painted Lady wrote:I just tried to pre-order and ran into a problem paying via my Amazon account. There was a screen that tried to get me to change my password. With all of the hijacked web sites around I backed off immediately. Will order later when I trust the payment system.....
Painted Lady, a few folks have responded to a query I made over on the LoG forums - one indicated they used the Amazon Checkout feature with no problem, and another made the following suggestion:

make sure the person has "I'm a returning customer" selected, I'm not sure if you need to use the same email you give the devs and the one on the amazon payment site needs to match? but I never had a problem and I used amazon payment to pay on a few kickstarter games

my advice is, it could be a problem with the amazon account itself, get your friend to check that first, and use a strong password if one wasn't used before, (I use keypass to store passwords) also the person could try to back a kickstarter project, just to test, but I suspect its more of an account issue and that needs to be checked and double checked first
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

That's cool that you can get it from them directly. I'll wind up getting it from GOG because I like the convenience of having my games in a centralized location in case I need to download them again at some point in the future (e.g. I get a new rig) and I'll only use Steam if that's my only choice.

Edit: Went ahead and pre-ordered my copy from GOG. Now just gotta wait for April 11th.
Will Pay For Cloth Map
Heavy Metal Monk
Apprentice

Post by Heavy Metal Monk »

Is anyone playing this yet?

It's amazing.
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

It's a cool game. I made the mistake of trying the game on Hard the first time around and had to go back and restart on Normal. The game is WAY harder on Hard difficulty, I mean the difference between Normal and Hard is absolutely ridiculous. After getting killed over and over and over and over and over on level 1 of the dungeon I got really frustrated and decided that it wasn't worth it at this point and restarted on Normal. Much more enjoyable now. When you get to the point that you have to stop yourself from putting your fist through the monitor for the umpteenth time, the challenge just isn't worth the frustration.
Will Pay For Cloth Map
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

I started it yesterday and just finished the first level. It's really terrific. I'm thinking about restarting with a custom made party.

My only problem so far is figuring out how the Mage character works - it's not at all intuitive. Have made progress, but have a couple of question yet about some of the scrolls I've found and how to use them.
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

I wasnt planning on buying this but when i did i have to say it was one of the best purchases ive made.

Its hard even on easy, but not so hard i dont wnat to play it.
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

I bought. I've played. Overall, I'd say it is very good. As a developer, I can't help but think about all the things I would have done differently, but I guess that is normal. I've since played some Eye of the Beholder II to compare, and Grimrock doesn't quite capture all the essence of the old games, but of course it looks so much better, so that helps.

I hope they expand upon the play mechanics and the game world for the sequel. There is a lot of potential in this game (series) if the developers really want to capitalize on it.

I do recommend all old-school RPG fans pick it up.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Heavy Metal Monk
Apprentice

Painted Lady wrote:I started it yesterday and just finished the first level. It's really terrific. I'm thinking about restarting with a custom made party.

My only problem so far is figuring out how the Mage character works - it's not at all intuitive. Have made progress, but have a couple of question yet about some of the scrolls I've found and how to use them.
You don't really "use" the scrolls, the just tell you what runes to use to cast the spell. You have to right click either an empty hand or a staff your mage character has and input those runes, provided you've sufficiently leveled that particular school of magic.

I only fully got killed for the first time on level 3, got cornered by two spiders because I didn't take a note I found seriously :D After that I got hit by a new kind of flying enemy... Well, a new COLOR of flying enemy. Shock spells hurt my particular party alot, apparently.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

Heavy Metal Monk wrote: You don't really "use" the scrolls, the just tell you what runes to use to cast the spell. You have to right click either an empty hand or a staff your mage character has and input those runes, provided you've sufficiently leveled that particular school of magic.
One of my biggest problems is that my gang is getting beat up on, it's my mage's turn to fight, and I'm busy trying to load and fire a spell. I haven't figured out how to streamline the process :?
Heavy Metal Monk
Apprentice

Painted Lady wrote:
Heavy Metal Monk wrote: You don't really "use" the scrolls, the just tell you what runes to use to cast the spell. You have to right click either an empty hand or a staff your mage character has and input those runes, provided you've sufficiently leveled that particular school of magic.
One of my biggest problems is that my gang is getting beat up on, it's my mage's turn to fight, and I'm busy trying to load and fire a spell. I haven't figured out how to streamline the process :?
That's how Dungeon Master was. They did that for a reason, since spells can't miss and are pretty powerful. It's a matter of memorizing the rune combinations and clicking them fast enough, it's about as streamlined as it's going to get I'm afraid.

I haven't been having any trouble with it but I've played through Dungeon Master and its sequel many times. Perhaps if they update it allowing you to map the runes to the numpad it would be a bit easier.
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

Painted Lady wrote:I started it yesterday and just finished the first level. It's really terrific. I'm thinking about restarting with a custom made party.

You used the stock party? :shock: I thought nobody ever used the stock party.

Anyway, some weird quirks about the game because of the mechanics. Because of the design of the game, dexterity is nearly useless for back line archers. The reason is that strength governs damage for all weapons, melee and missile, while dexterity governs accuracy. However since missile weapons always hit, dexterity is nearly useless for back line archers, except for when you need to sub them in to the front line in an emergency (your front line fighter(s) are really hurt) it helps with evasion, also if you're getting attacked from the side. With that in mind, when I restarted on Normal difficulty I made a minotaur archer rogue for the back line along with the standard insectoid mage, and human and lizardman fighters for the front line. My party is working out really well so far.
Will Pay For Cloth Map