Legend of Grimrock

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
munster
Senior Steward

Re: Legend of Grimrock

Post by munster »

I bought this yesterday and I have managed to get to Level 2 (believe me, that's an achivement :D ).

I never played one of these games before (I have come very late to playing PC games) and I'm enjoying it so far, but I can tell I am going to get killed a lot until I manage to level up to some decent stats and figure out how to fight effectively.

I had the same problem with the mage - found the spell scroll, was desperately trying to work out "How the bloody hell do I cast????" in the middle of an encounter and then it was "Oops - too late, I'm dead". Well, it's all learning in the end :roll:

Anyway, it'll pass the time until Book III is ready :mrgreen:
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

This game looks very promising! Going to buy it soon.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

sirdilznik wrote: You used the stock party? :shock: I thought nobody ever used the stock party.
Yeah, I used the stock party until I figured out how the game worked, which took until the early stages of level 2. Then I started over with my own group - human fighter and minotaur in the front, human mage and insect mage in the back. We are starting level 3 and are doing really well.

This has been a lot of fun. I'm taking it slowly because I don't want it to end too soon! Although, I'm already thinking about replaying the old fashioned way - graph paper and all...
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

If anyone has a trick for the "teleporter trap" let me know, ive tried a few things and nothing seems to work.

(teleporters go round in a circle, ive tried hitting every switch ive seen, placing items on the switch in the pit, actually found 2 hidden places IN the pits lol, even hit the button that closes the pits, then the button over the other pit, and no luck)

Generic answers pointing to a solution helps or a pm with the exact answer works ;)
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

blatherbeard wrote:If anyone has a trick for the "teleporter trap" let me know, ive tried a few things and nothing seems to work.

(teleporters go round in a circle, ive tried hitting every switch ive seen, placing items on the switch in the pit, actually found 2 hidden places IN the pits lol, even hit the button that closes the pits, then the button over the other pit, and no luck)
Are you talking about the rotating portals on Level 3? If so, that is soooo tough. There is already a walkthrough that is quite good. I highly recommend it if you are totally stuck. It's at gamebanshee.com. Level 3 is a significant challenge. Damn spiders!
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

Painted Lady wrote:
blatherbeard wrote:If anyone has a trick for the "teleporter trap" let me know, ive tried a few things and nothing seems to work.

Are you talking about the rotating portals on Level 3? If so, that is soooo tough. There is already a walkthrough that is quite good. I highly recommend it if you are totally stuck. It's at gamebanshee.com. Level 3 is a significant challenge. Damn spiders!
Sounds like the one. THanks for the suggestion for sure.
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

Bought yesterday, very good and challenging! The difficulty is not "modern normal", it is "old-school normal". That would mean "hard" for today's games.

A question if I may; I am trying to make my mage Siam a jack-of-all-magicks, but should I specialize? I found Poison Bolt (earth magic: level 7) but my earth magic is only 3. Should I go for that or something else?
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

Lord_P wrote:Bought yesterday, very good and challenging! The difficulty is not "modern normal", it is "old-school normal". That would mean "hard" for today's games.

A question if I may; I am trying to make my mage Siam a jack-of-all-magicks, but should I specialize? I found Poison Bolt (earth magic: level 7) but my earth magic is only 3. Should I go for that or something else?
I can't help with that question because I decided to go with two mages when I created my party. One, the insect, is all about Ice magic. The other, the human, is general purpose and is splitting her efforts between Fire and Air.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Painted Lady wrote:I can't help with that question because I decided to go with two mages when I created my party. One, the insect, is all about Ice magic. The other, the human, is general purpose and is splitting her efforts between Fire and Air.
I made a full Mage party, all insects, each specializing in a different realm of magic. Big mistake. There is just not enough variety of magic spells to make this kind of party successful.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

This game sure gives you little equipment. I picked Missile Weapons for my Rogue and still not found any (I'm in level 4 now). Magic doesn't come by often, either. A ton of Rye Beads but no flasks...
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

I have one mage specializing in earth magic. Sucks against skeletons since poison bolt is useless against them, good against everything else. I have yet to find a missile weapon either, but I'm only on level 3. I'm taking it slow on this game partially because it's splitting time with dicking around in Skyrim.
Will Pay For Cloth Map
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

Lord_P wrote:This game sure gives you little equipment. I picked Missile Weapons for my Rogue and still not found any (I'm in level 4 now). Magic doesn't come by often, either. A ton of Rye Beads but no flasks...
I found a bow and some arrows on Level 3. You might want to go back and make sure you found all of the "secrets." I've also picked up about 4 flasks so far.
Last edited by Painted Lady on April 15th, 2012, 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

Question: How many of you actually used stones on the pressure plates, because you watched a video that told you to? I did. Didn't realize faint torches work also. :(
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

Lord_P wrote:Question: How many of you actually used stones on the pressure plates, because you watched a video that told you to? I did. Didn't realize faint torches work also. :(
I used stones early on then I started using used up torches when I came to the conclusion that stones are too valuable as thrown weapons, since I don't have a bow yet. I hope to get that bow Painted Lady mentioned soon.

My party works pretty well because my back line minotaur rogue has very high strength and does large amounts of damage with throwing knives, shuriken, and rocks, so when I'm doing the thing where I'm backpedaling around a large room hurling rocks at skeletons or whatever, I'm tearing them up pretty good. If ammo was more plentiful a 4 rogue thrown/missile party would be the bees knees.

[off-topic]I've been playing archer parties more often in party-based RPGs generally as of late and I feel they work very well usually. Mages don't stand a chance against an archer-heavy party, they never get a spell off because they have several arrows sticking out of their chest before they're done casting.[/off-topic]
Will Pay For Cloth Map
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

Lord_P wrote:Question: How many of you actually used stones on the pressure plates, because you watched a video that told you to? I did. Didn't realize faint torches work also. :(
Never watched a video, but used stones and extra polearms on pressure plates because as long as its got wieght(even cloth armor i used) it will hold the plate down.