Frayed Knights

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
quasimodo
Marshall

Frayed Knights

Post by quasimodo »

I've been keeping an eye on this game for awhile, and it looks like its going to be out in the next few weeks. I'm hoping it comes out by Oct 3 as I'm taking that week off.

It is an old school turn based FPP (blob) game with a pre-generated party and a satirical sense of humor.

http://rampantgames.com/frayedknights/
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Re: Frayed Knights

Post by Dragonlady »

quasimodo wrote:I've been keeping an eye on this game for awhile, and it looks like its going to be out in the next few weeks. I'm hoping it comes out by Oct 3 as I'm taking that week off.

It is an old school turn based FPP (blob) game with a pre-generated party and a satirical sense of humor.

http://rampantgames.com/frayedknights/
FPP????

Went to site, loved the screen shots, especially the 'sacred pool' :lol:

However, this bummed me out:

"Q: Will it be available for Mac / Linux?
A: Not immediately. We're working with another developer to port it to the Mac, but that will lag the original release. I expect early 2012."
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
quasimodo
Marshall

Post by quasimodo »

FPP = first person perspective

Here is a preview of the game with a nice description of a combat encounter by the developer Jay Barnson.

http://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=241
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

I haven't read all of it yet, but it was funny in places and I liked the screen shots. I could break down and get the PC version and put it on my pc side of my Mac. I hate trying to remember how to get to that side though. *shrug* old age setting in. :)
quasimodo
Marshall

Post by quasimodo »

The most recent posts on Jay's website indicate the game will be released next Wednesday if things go as planned. I'll try to post some first impressions if I have time to play before I go on vacation.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

quasimodo wrote:The most recent posts on Jay's website indicate the game will be released next Wednesday if things go as planned. I'll try to post some first impressions if I have time to play before I go on vacation.
Haven't checked yet, how much will it be?
quasimodo
Marshall

Post by quasimodo »

Price is TBA but "in line with other indie RPGs". By which I assume $20.00 to $30.00.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

I'm definitely going to be a day 1 purchaser. I'll be posting my initial thoughts after a couple days of play.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
quasimodo
Marshall

Post by quasimodo »

It's out and I've got it. Now I just have to wait to get off work to give it a try.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Well, I got the demo and popped it on the PC side of my Mac laptop. Not bad and rather amusing. Only gripes I have are a lack of a manual and my mouse was acting up. It would freeze once in a while at the worst moments. :( Not sure yet whether I'll buy it now or wait to get Mac version when most of the bugs are found. :)
quasimodo
Marshall

Post by quasimodo »

I bought the full game, but I have only had enough time to play the demo part.

So far I like the game very much.

The dialog, plot, item and spell descriptions are humorous in a good way......not too slapsticky or juvenile, just gently ribbing the RPG genre about it many cliches.

The combat is serious in a good way......TB with a lot of options to keep it interesting.

The energy/exhaustion mechanism is very good. Energy becomes an important resource to manage without becoming too scare or too plentiful.

The character development looks solid. Lots of skills, attributes, feats and spells to choose at level-up.

The trap disarming minigame looks like it has a lot of potential. The traps, tools and skill increase in complexity and I haven't played long enough to see if the system stays interesting. It looks like the developer put a lot of thought into it so we will see.

The "Drama Star" system is awesome. I am a compulsive Save/Loader, but this system got me to play the whole demo without save/loading once and without making me feel like I was being forced into it. This is probably the best new idea I have seen in a game in the last 10 years.

Keep in mind these are just demo impressions, but so far I'm having a blast.
Xex
Apprentice

Post by Xex »

I love it! It's a great game. The best thing about it is that it is turn based (something that I hope all Baslisk Games games will be after Eschalon III). Frayed Knights definately gets my money.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Xex wrote:I love it! It's a great game. The best thing about it is that it is turn based (something that I hope all Baslisk Games games will be after Eschalon III). Frayed Knights definately gets my money.
You mean that you hope that Basilisk Games continue to be turn based, since the Eschalon series is?
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Neueziel
Initiate

Post by Neueziel »

I do hope that basilisk games dont turn out to be FPP, I could NEVER get into them...i have played rpgs since I was little and tried FPP but always ended disliking not being able to see my chars, and only see their portraits and when they attacked you only saw some cuts or hits, and only being able to actually see the spells.

You could see the enemy attacking you but not actually see your party members fighting, I respect people that like FPPS but if i wanted to ´´imagine´´my characters fighting then i will stick with tabletop rpgs like AD&D.
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

Ive actually always wondered why in a Fprpg(first person rpg) or a first person view in an MMO, that they cant or wont render the hands and/or weapons. Thats my big reason for not liking most first person rpg games. They can do it in Fps games. maybe because there is too much variety in weapons? /shrug
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.