Heros of Might and Magic?

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Heros of Might and Magic?

Post by Painted Lady »

In searching for a good turn-based RPG to play I bumped into comments about Heroes of Might and Magic V. Has anyone gotten it to run on an Intel Mac? Any comments about the game?
ManusDei
Council Member

Re: Heros of Might and Magic?

Post by ManusDei »

There is a native Mac version for Heroes5. No idea of how well it runs.

I would advise you to buy ToE (Tribes of the East), which is the last expansion of the game, and can be run as a stand-alone. There is a mod (with official support from Ubisoft I believe) so you may play the campains from H5 and Hammers of Fate, so you would not need to buy the initial game or the first expansion at all, and still get everything.

Also, many believe (myself included) that ToE actually is the finished game as it should have been shipped initially.
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

The last Homm i liked was 3.
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
ManusDei
Council Member

Post by ManusDei »

blatherbeard wrote:The last Homm i liked was 3.
Funny, that's pretty much the one I liked least.
No innovation, constant useless upgrades, too much magic imbalance, and that's the homm where the graphics lost there "fairy tale" touch.
:mrgreen:
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

Strange, Heroes Of Might and Magic III is still the most popular one of the series.
Some upgrades are essential, like with Vampires or Gremlins.
Might is stronger than Magic, as also Might heroes will have easy access to spells like 'Haste' and 'Slow'.

Heroes of Might and Magic II was already a very good game, it was only a tiny step from II to III.
There's more refinement in the game mechanics in III and it has a better editor for fans to create their own scenarios.
In pure charm and style maybe II wins it.
ManusDei
Council Member

Post by ManusDei »

KillingMoon wrote:Strange, Heroes Of Might and Magic III is still the most popular one of the series.
It's like Final Fantasy 7, it's the first one many played. Doesn't make it the best, but the one most people discovered the series with (it's just nostalgia).

I don't know all communities, but the only ones I see still active (with games played all the time) on France oldest homm site are h4 and h6. H3 community stopped playing long before h5 came out.
KillingMoon wrote: Some upgrades are essential, like with Vampires or Gremlins.
You mean some creatures are just useless unless upgraded. And others don't get anything from being upgraded, beside some stat increase, which is just artificial upgrade. No new skill, no new purpose, just the same but somewhat stronger, so why bother making it 2 creatures ? H5, with ToE is in that perspective the best in my opinion, as it allows for alternative upgrades, some of them having different purpose (other being useless or weaker).