Ultima 7

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Ultima 7

Post by Painted Lady »

Just wanted to make sure that everyone knows there is now a version of Ultima 7 that will run on pretty much any Windows computer. You can buy it from GOG for $5.99.

It took a little fiddling with the resolution in Graphics Setup to get it running, but I'm quite excited about getting to play what seems to be on everyone's top 10 list.

Also, freegameempire.com has the manual for the game.
noname
Marshall

Re: Ultima 7

Post by noname »

can you get it anyplace else besides GOG? For some reason, that neither they or me can figure out, I cannot open their files after downloading them.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

I had a similar problem with U7 (which is the only game I've bought from them). The icon on my desktop would not launch the game. However, the graphics setup window has an option to "Start the Game." It launches perfectly from that button. Might be worth a try.....
noname
Marshall

Post by noname »

Thank you painted lady, but my problem is that I can download the game but cannot open the file to install it to my pc. It's an ob file whatever that means and my computer does not recognize it. I contacted GOG and told them the problem and was surprised when they responded quickly. At first they thought it was a problem with Vista but I told them I only have XP Pro. Then they got so technical I just got confused even though I tried to follow their instructions. Not their fault.
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

noname wrote:Thank you painted lady, but my problem is that I can download the game but cannot open the file to install it to my pc. It's an ob file whatever that means and my computer does not recognize it. I contacted GOG and told them the problem and was surprised when they responded quickly. At first they thought it was a problem with Vista but I told them I only have XP Pro. Then they got so technical I just got confused even though I tried to follow their instructions. Not their fault.
An ob file? Are you sure you're downloading these things right? I've got dozens of games from GOG and their download files generally come in two flavors:

1) A standard self-extracting executable setup file (generally "setup_<name_of_game>.exe"). If the size of the game is small enough, this will generally be the one and only file you need to download.

2) The aforementioned self-extracting executable file PLUS one or more .bin files. This is generally what you get when the game is more than 1 GB in size.

In either case all you need to do is have all the files in the same directory (regardless of what the directory is, essentially wherever you downloaded them) then just run the executable file (.exe) whether it's the only file or not. The executable will automatically pull in the necessary .bin files if applicable. I've yet to find a single game on GOG that comes in a different form.
Will Pay For Cloth Map
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

Apparently the download from GOG for Ultima 7 is a combination of the original files and DOS Box (which is a DOS emulator). Look at bootstrike.com - you might be able to load everything from their site. The instructions look pretty straightforward.

Also, I agree with you about GOG tech support. They were more than terrific when I was having problems.
noname
Marshall

Post by noname »

Thought I would give it another try. Been trying to download Ultima 7 for hours and now I can't even do that. It gets to about 56% and fails. It will not continue even with my orbit downloader. Been starting over and over and never gets past 56%. Unfortunately you have to pay for these games before you can try to download them, which is only reasonable, but I have donated quite a bit of money to GOG now and recieved nothing except frustation. And Yes I can and have downloaded other things, so the problem may not be with me. Dunno, keep trying I guess. Would very much like to play Ultima 7. :(
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

noname wrote:Thought I would give it another try. Been trying to download Ultima 7 for hours and now I can't even do that. It gets to about 56% and fails. It will not continue even with my orbit downloader. Been starting over and over and never gets past 56%. Unfortunately you have to pay for these games before you can try to download them, which is only reasonable, but I have donated quite a bit of money to GOG now and recieved nothing except frustation. And Yes I can and have downloaded other things, so the problem may not be with me. Dunno, keep trying I guess. Would very much like to play Ultima 7. :(
Weird. Are you downloading the file(s) directly or through GOG's Download Manager? I've never used their Download Manager, just downloaded directly using my browser (Firefox or Chrome, Chrome lately). The only things I can think of are: Does your ISP have a download limit that you may be exceeding? Are you perhaps low on hard drive space so the file can't fit?
Will Pay For Cloth Map
noname
Marshall

Post by noname »

I don't think my isp has a download limit since I have downloaded much larger games than this. And I have googles of hard drive space. Anyway a lot!!! I am using the Orbit downloader. I've always had good luck with it. Thanks for the suggestions though. Maybe I'll try downloading the GOG downloader and using it, if possible. No, come to think of it, I tried that and you can only have one downloader and Orbit has always been great so I don't want to replace it with the GOG. Technically speaking, I think my pc hates me!!
fudgemaster
Apprentice

Post by fudgemaster »

This http://bootstrike.com/ has guides, cd pictures, box art scans and some patches for download. I downloaded the U8 art and quite enjoyed the blast from the past.
noname
Marshall

Post by noname »

Just found out why I cannot completely download from GOG. That has been the problem all along, incomplete downloads. They are only set up for high speed download and a download manager such as I have to use will not be able to resume after an interruption. Once the downloads terminates for any reason it will not allow a resume. They finally told me this after all this trouble. Really wish this little bit of info was on their website. Would have saved me some money!!!!
dbgager
Initiate

Post by dbgager »

You do not have to use a download manager. The default download capabilities of your browser should be able to download files from GOG without any problem. I have purchased several games from them and never had the slightest bit of problems. I do not use Download Manager apps as most of them have some type of malware installed ( browsing habits tracked, forced advertising, changing your browser settings without permission, unwanted browser addons, etc ). Thats why they give them to you for free, they are still making money off of them.
noname
Marshall

Post by noname »

dbgager wrote:You do not have to use a download manager. The default download capabilities of your browser should be able to download files from GOG without any problem. I have purchased several games from them and never had the slightest bit of problems. I do not use Download Manager apps as most of them have some type of malware installed ( browsing habits tracked, forced advertising, changing your browser settings without permission, unwanted browser addons, etc ). Thats why they give them to you for free, they are still making money off of them.
Thank you, yes my browswer will download anything--in about a week. I have dial-up, modem, not high speed broadband capabilities. Therefore if I want to get anything downloaded before I die I have to use a download manager. You see when I am downloading online it appears that my connection is just in idle, in other words not being used and so after short while the connection is broken, this is unavoidable so I am told. Appreciate the help though.
dbgager
Initiate

Post by dbgager »

noname wrote:
dbgager wrote:You do not have to use a download manager. The default download capabilities of your browser should be able to download files from GOG without any problem. I have purchased several games from them and never had the slightest bit of problems. I do not use Download Manager apps as most of them have some type of malware installed ( browsing habits tracked, forced advertising, changing your browser settings without permission, unwanted browser addons, etc ). Thats why they give them to you for free, they are still making money off of them.
Thank you, yes my browswer will download anything--in about a week. I have dial-up, modem, not high speed broadband capabilities. Therefore if I want to get anything downloaded before I die I have to use a download manager. You see when I am downloading online it appears that my connection is just in idle, in other words not being used and so after short while the connection is broken, this is unavoidable so I am told. Appreciate the help though.
A download manager still is not going to download anything faster than your connection is capable of. It is not any faster than the browser. You do not get 56K times the number of files you are downloading. You get 56K divided by the number of files you are downloding. Dial up speed is dial up speed no matter how you slice it. There is no way to make it faster. Download managers just give you a nice interface for organizing and sorting and keeping track of your downloads ( managing ) is all.

The Ultima 7 file is about 28MB. These are old school games. They are not very big in file size. At dial up speeds of 56K that will take about 1 hour and 15 minutes to download. Or about 2 hours 30 Minutes if you are using the very old 28K dial up speed.

However since you are actually using up dial up modem resources at your ISP. The ISP often sets a connection duration limit for dial up. Which allows sharing of there resources. So most likely your ISP is disconnecting you which is causing your incomplete downloads. Broadband connections do not have these problems as they are always on.
Last edited by dbgager on December 30th, 2011, 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dbgager
Initiate

Post by dbgager »

Actually it is priced at $2.99 right now at GOG due to the Holiday season. Purchased it today after reading your message. Thanks for the idea. Have not played it for at least 15 years. Looking forward to the journey once again. Runs just fine on 64 bit Vista. They also have Ultima Underworld 1&2 packaged together ( also $2.99 ) for some more old school goodness.