Unepic... The "Metroidvania" RPG

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Unepic... The "Metroidvania" RPG

Post by CrazyBernie »

While its realtime nature might turn some off, I played the demo of this game that managed to snag the #10 spot for indieDB's Indie of the Year - Player's Choice list. The demo is quite long, taking you up to the first boss fight, and I quite enjoyed the ride. It's a platformer-style action RPG that has some nice lighting effects which are used as a gameplay mechanic. The storyline is pretty laid back, featuring a "hero" who is mysteriously transported from a real-world RPGing session into a world of swords and sorcery.

You can buy it from places like Desura for $9.99, or straight from the developer for slightly less. This guy is definitely on my short list. Check it out! http://www.unepicgame.com
Attachments
unepic.jpg
unepic.jpg (225.61 KiB) Viewed 10300 times
llew silverhand
Senior Council Member

Re: Unepic... The "Metroidvania" RPG

Post by llew silverhand »

Yeah I am planning to pick this up at some point, though Skyrim and Terraria are keeping my gaming tooth sated for the time being :D
Llew Silverhand - Once and Future Gnome King
AXS
Apprentice

Post by AXS »

Goodchoice CB , i knew this game some time ago, but never said anything about it, for the same reason you mentioned.

Personally, i like it a lot , it´s fun and addictive.

The good points:

-A lenghty game , not maybe for 20 hours, but i would say that 1 or 15.
-Humorous game.It´s not a cliché history.
-More RPG than looks like ,you better watch out with your skill points
later on.
-Starts easy , but it´s learning curve towards the ends it´s high.
-Retro style .

The not so good:

-The autor is not english native,he is from spain just like me, and the english translation will not be perfect , and the humorous part can be confusing,because of region perspective.
-The bosses semeed Veeery easy , unless 2 or 3 that were MANIAC. (buy fun anyway).
Heavy Metal Monk
Apprentice

Post by Heavy Metal Monk »

It looks similar to Ys III - Wanderers from Ys (before it was remade as Oath in Felghana).

If so, I may have to pick this up.

EDIT: After checking out the trailer on their website, I have to say that this looks awesome.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Is this just for PC's? Site didn't say so I assume it is.
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Dragonlady wrote:Is this just for PC's? Site didn't say so I assume it is.
Was wondering the same thing...
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Well the only download available is a Windows installer file, so it looks like Mac/Linux users will have to rely on emlutation to enjoy the game.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

CrazyBernie wrote:Well the only download available is a Windows installer file, so it looks like Mac/Linux users will have to rely on emlutation to enjoy the game.
Or pop it into the PC section that was partioned off on my Mac. (son did it for me) I just didn't want to go through the hassle. Thanks.
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
noname
Marshall

Post by noname »

Crazy Bernie, thanks for mentioning Unepic. It's a fun little game. I usually don't like platforms style but I tried the demo on impluse and glad I did. I ordered it from them without really knowing how much I was paying since all the prices are in Euros. Turns out that 9,5 means about 12.95 in US dollars. It is certainly worth the price. There is a lot more depth to this game than you would suspect at first. But it does need an online manual. I still can't figure out how to aim the fireballs up, the tab key does not work for the fireball just the bow. No wonder I'm confused, I'm replaying Eschalon 1, JA2 with the 1.13 mod, and Unepic all at the same time. By the way, if you like the Jagged Alliance series you will love the 1.13 mod, if you haven't already tried it.
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

I'm going to have to check this out. I'm a big fan of Metroidvania style platformers and (obviously) a big fan of RPGs so this seems like a marriage made in heaven to me. 8)
Will Pay For Cloth Map
noname
Marshall

Post by noname »

I think you will like it. It is very well done and creative. It does require some nimbleness on the keyboard which I am not good at. Presently I am stuck trying to defeat a boss called 'Neuron'. There is some good advice on their forum too for when you need it. My problem is not needing advice but getting my fingers to work fast enough on the keyboard.