Legend / 4 Crystals of Trazere

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
raverdave2k
Senior Council Member

Legend / 4 Crystals of Trazere

Post by raverdave2k »

Does any one else remember an old dos game (also on Amiga and Atari) called 'Legend' aka 4 Crystals of Trazere. It's An old mindscape title from 1992, this would be the first rpg I ever played and being around 9 or 10 at the time and not even knowing what an rpg was it's safe to say I sucked at it and never even completed the first dungeon yet still found it great fun.

I tried many times to find some info about it online but as I only knew the title as Legend at that point it was something of a needle in a hay stack as you can imagine. I finally found it's full title recently and armed with that I was able to track it down on one of the abandonware sites and have recently started a new play through.

I've read quite a lot of threads at various places talking about old RPG's and this is one I've never seen mentioned so I was curious to see if any one here has actually played it and if so if they had more luck than me back in the day.

Wiki page here
My modifications for Eschalon Book I: RaverDave's Book I Mod
My modifications for Eschalon Book II: Port Kuudad Tower - Now Open, Treasure Of The Orakur

All previous versions avaliable here
Gene
Initiate

Re: Legend / 4 Crystals of Trazere

Post by Gene »

Played the heck out of the game when I was younger. Never could finish it though; mostly due to the time limit that kinda sneaks up on you.

I remember really digging the mutability of the magic system. The bard songs were good too!

There was actually a 'sequel' of sorts. It's more or less the same game engine but takes place in a realm with a more Asian bent to it. It was called Worlds of Legend; it had a subtitle, but I can't recall what it was.
raverdave2k
Senior Council Member

Post by raverdave2k »

Gene wrote:Played the heck out of the game when I was younger. Never could finish it though; mostly due to the time limit that kinda sneaks up on you.
I wasn't aware there was any kind of time limit, I hope thats not going to cause me a problem :(
Gene wrote: There was actually a 'sequel' of sorts. It's more or less the same game engine but takes place in a realm with a more Asian bent to it. It was called Worlds of Legend; it had a subtitle, but I can't recall what it was.
Ah yes I completly forgot about that when I made my post, I actualy found out about the sequal at the same time and I have that here ready to play once (and IF) I complete the first one.
My modifications for Eschalon Book II: Port Kuudad Tower - Now Open, Treasure Of The Orakur

Gene
Initiate

Post by Gene »

raverdave2k wrote:
Gene wrote:Played the heck out of the game when I was younger. Never could finish it though; mostly due to the time limit that kinda sneaks up on you.
I wasn't aware there was any kind of time limit, I hope thats not going to cause me a problem :(
From what I recall, the time limit was more than fair. The only reason I really ever hit it was because I tended to wander a bit overmuch on the overworld. I was a huge fan of the wandering encounters and so spent much of my time fighting them as opposed to dungeon delving like you were expected to do. I don't think it'd be a problem if you were playing to actually complete the game.
realmzmaster
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by realmzmaster »

Yes I have this game for both the IBM PC and the Atari ST. The Atari St version i have came from Mindscape UK were it was named Legend. The manual came in four different languages ( English French, Italian and German) with full color, quick reference and installation manual (also in the four languages) and a very nice box. The IBM version came from Mindscape USA with a black and white manual in English and a not so impressive box on 31/2" disks. The magic spell system is most definitely fun. A very nice cRPG.
History is written by the winners!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

realmzmaster wrote:...The Atari St...
I loved that machine. Many, many hours spent playing it.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
raverdave2k
Senior Council Member

Post by raverdave2k »

jamesbrowning wrote:can we play this on pc?
Yeah it's avaliable on at least one of the abandonware sites listed under the 4 Crystals title (though off hand I can't remember which one I got it from) and it plays just fine under dosbox.

If any one is interested and can't find it let me know and I'll upload it to my website.