Geneforge Series

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Geneforge Series

Post by deathknight1728 »

Ive seen alot of people posting about avernum escape from the pit and avadon, but was wondering if any people on the forums like the geneforge series.

For me, its my favorite series that jeff made due to the uniqueness. I would say avernum and avadon are about tied, but geneforge is alot more fun for me. Has anyone else on the forums gotten into the series?
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Re: Geneforge Series

Post by Dragonlady »

My son (age 42) likes it but I don't. Like the other games from Spiderweb though.

But, Basilisk Games come first! :lol:
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Geneforge doesnt appeal to all. It definitely has a difficulty curve as for how you play the game. It took me a while to learn the basics and i still to this day, dont know how i got past g1. I think that when the series first 3 games get remade, the game will get much more appeal. You could say the same thing for avernum's release. That was one example of how simplified features make a great concept, awesome.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Geneforge is harder to get started because you are in real time outside of combat. So monsters can get closer before you go into combat mode. Also if you have a damage condition like poison you want to stay in combat mode to avoid dying while you try to figure out how to cure it.

If you are used to playing a fighter or mage it isn't that hard. A shaper requires some planning to maximize the creations so they can do the fighting for you.

The interface is better for Geneforge 4 and 5 than the older games. There are lots of player gripes about Geneforge 3 because the difficulty of shifting between islands, especially the supplies that you aren't carrying but might need later.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

I find that Geneforge and Avadon as well, are much more enjoyable for me and easier to get into than all the avernums both new and old. Geneforge is hard if you dont know how to play the game. However, i would say that geneforge is much more simple once you know how it works. If you dont know how the game works, it can be very tough, especially 1 and 2. Geneforge 3-5 are much more simplistic.

I hope that jeff focuses on the avadon series now. I heard the avernum remake didnt sell very well and hopefully he will spend more time on new game series.

Candew
Initiate

Post by Candew »

I just purchased the whole saga from GOG and am just getting into the 1st of the series. I must say that I am hooked! Great storytelling. It did take me sometime to get a feel for the real time vs turn based combat, but now I anticipate it and use it to my advantage. I am level 11 and I am kicking some serious behind with my small army of Vlish.

I am playing through these while I patiently await Drunken's latest and greatest :)
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

One of the things I particularly enjoy about the Geneforge series is the flexibility you have in creating your character. I prefer going solo, so playing an Agent is right up my alley. Great fun.

BTW, I am currently into Nethergate:R. It's an older game, but the concept is unique and I'm having a ball with it.

Also, I totally agree about waiting (as patiently as possible) for BW to make the Book III announcement. Then the countdown can begin........
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

Just picked up the whole series in a bundle and so far im loving the story and the concept of g1. HOpefully it just gets better. Got 3 hrs in so far.

edit--now 8 hours in--still loving it. Much more engaging than Avernum for me. And when i die, i dont get frustrated, i just redo it in a different manner and usually get the win.
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

Getting harder but not impossible like Avernum got, still having fun.

Question--Do rings actually DO anything? Havent found one yet that seems to do anything but they say that they "might" be magical?
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

blatherbeard wrote:Getting harder but not impossible like Avernum got, still having fun.

Question--Do rings actually DO anything? Havent found one yet that seems to do anything but they say that they "might" be magical?
My son (40yrs old) has played that a lot, not to mention did some beta testing. He claims that "if it is magical it will say so. 'Might' means not. :D So, go ahead and sell it."

Hope that's true. :wink:
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Gold and silver rings are sellable. Puuresteel rings are for quests. All others have magical properties in the item descriptions.
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

I figured it would be something like that, just having found about 5 rings with no properties, i was getting worried i was selling super secret hidden powers lol