Drox Operative Game

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Drox Operative Game

Post by Dragonlady »

Just thought I'd let everyone know that Soldak Games has put up a beta version of their newest game. Pre-purchase it (cheaper than waiting till finished game is out by the way) and you get the whole game (as is) and get to beta test it as well. If you liked 'Din's Curse' or their other games, you just might like this one.

Drox Operative is a starship action RPG with warring alien races, fierce space battles, a dynamic, evolving galaxy, and co-op multiplayer for Windows and Mac.

The link gets you to the game page, screenshots, manual, and more.
Link: http://www.soldak.com/Drox-Operative/Overview.html

I've been following the alpha discussions in the forums and it looks like a blast for those who like non-turn based games. :)
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
llew silverhand
Senior Council Member

Re: Drox Operative Game

Post by llew silverhand »

Yep, I pre-ordered as soon as I saw we could :)
Llew Silverhand - Once and Future Gnome King
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

Ill take a look for sure, but i played Dins curse about 15 minutes and got bored really.

Definitly give it a chance when i have time though.
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Let me know how it went please (any who try Drox Operative that is). I'm curious to see what younger (to me) gamers think of it.

I wasn't sure myself about Din's Curse at first until I got a handle on things and never go over level 20 with my characters. I just play to kill time..err, bad guys and get that pat on the head from Din when I save enough towns. :D It's easier than the 'rogues' I used to play and a lot easier on my my wrists. (carpal tunnel). It gets easier after a while especially if you put objects into the treasure chest for 'all' to share. Start a new character with much better equipment means staying alive longer. There are mods to add in to make game easier that players have thought up.
ttomm46
Senior Steward

Post by ttomm46 »

I'm older than you i believe and i bought the pre order also..trying it out now. :D
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

ttomm46 wrote:I'm older than you i believe and i bought the pre order also..trying it out now. :D
Heh. Perhaps. If you were born before 1945, you are. :)

There's a great review (see link below) with lots of screenshots that may help everyone who's curious. The beta version changes are happening fast and furious as more people try it out and give suggestions or complain. :)

Link: http://www.spacegamejunkie.com/previews ... cro-scale/
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by deathknight1728 »

Dragonlady wrote:
ttomm46 wrote:I'm older than you i believe and i bought the pre order also..trying it out now. :D
You guys are awesome and it doesnt matter how old you are, you are never too old to like games. I wish that my grandparents were like that, instead of looking at me like i am a loser :(
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
ttomm46
Senior Steward

Post by ttomm46 »

deathknight1728 wrote:
Dragonlady wrote:
You guys are awesome and it doesnt matter how old you are, you are never too old to like games. I wish that my grandparents were like that, instead of looking at me like i am a loser :(
I'm 66..Have fun!!!! :D
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

ttomm46 wrote:
Dragonlady wrote:
I'm 66..Have fun!!!! :D
Heh, hi youngster! :D 67 last March.

Yeah, I blame my dad for getting me into role-playing games. I was in my early 30's with a young child and my dad gave me a boxed game called Dungeon's and Dragons (1978). Only because it had dragons on it and he knew I liked to read about them. Thought it was a great joke gift. Snort. Nope, got me hooked. Found a group to play with, that group disbanded when they finished college. Nothing to do for a few years until Commador64's came out. They had games! Been going strong ever since. Taught my son to love them too. Hubby just sighs and turns on news shows and talking heads. :lol:
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

Wow, and i thought id be in the running at 42.

At least i can say im still the meaning of life....til august ;)
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

There's more discussion about peoples' ages than the game itself...
quasimodo
Marshall

Post by quasimodo »

I would like to know what the real time combat is like. Is it like Diablo....point and click using one hand? I'm not good with two-handed RT combat.

(I'm 55 yrs old by the way)
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

quasimodo wrote:I would like to know what the real time combat is like. Is it like Diablo....point and click using one hand? I'm not good with two-handed RT combat.

(I'm 55 yrs old by the way)
From what I recall reading the forums about Drox Operative, it is pretty hard, perhaps 2-handed. They are continually working on improvements and updates. Check the review and the forums.

Link to forum: http://www.soldak.com/forums/
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by deathknight1728 »

Its a really good game. I thought a few days ago that i couldn't get into it because its space and I'm more fantasy. Now its a lot of fun. Its still not as hard as dins curse was in beta though.

Drox allows for a few cool things that i like that depths of peril would have been cool with, like diplomacy and other nefarious options like sabotaging and revolting a planet. It plays like dins curse would play except theres no melee and your basically sort of a ranged fighter. Its still cool though as the same things that were in dins like the keys to go with your attacks are there like in diablo's vein.

Im Still getting used to the world of the game but its been a lot of fun. If you are interested in trying the game out, nows a good time as soldak is already on their 3rd patch. The next patch will be out in a few days, probably monday or tuesday.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

Ok you guys did it.

I bought it today, ill let you know later in the week my own thoughts.

Even if i dont love it, its a good cause to support a good company.

But im pretty sure im gonna like it.