Drox Operative Game

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
quasimodo
Marshall

Re: Drox Operative Game

Post by quasimodo »

Let me know what the combat controls are like. If you have to control movement/camera with one hand and hit multiple buttons quickly with the other hand its not a game for me.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

quasimodo wrote:Let me know what the combat controls are like. If you have to control movement/camera with one hand and hit multiple buttons quickly with the other hand its not a game for me.
I asked and this is the answer I got (below) Don't know if it answers you fully or not. didn't make much sense to me. :) Check the review link for some more screen shots other that the ones at Soldak games.

Answer:
It depends. In DC, you had to click a lot to move around quickly, and the only way to attack effectively was to use the number keys. In Drox, movement is done much more effectively using WASD. You toggle W on to start moving so you don't have to worry about it much, so really it's about turning with A and D. In terms of using skills with numbers, you tend to have far fewer skills equipped at a time in Drox, so just using the numbers 1 to 5 will probably be enough for most of the game. Most of the time battles involve pressing 1 repeatedly, so there isn't nearly as much speed required IMO (at least so far) as there is in DC. The mouse is really only needed to interact with things -- races, planets, quests and for moving items around.

*Me again - DC is Din's Curse game Soldak also made. That one I can handle up to level 20 and then it gets to be too much. :)
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

oK, im pretty sure im hooked.

complex but not hard, simple but not easy.

Once i got hang of the controls to fire an fly, i was on a rampage. now that i know i need to equip weapons, im good LOL

so far, fun factor is high, learning curve is high but not retarded high.
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

blatherbeard wrote:oK, im pretty sure im hooked.

complex but not hard, simple but not easy.

Once i got hang of the controls to fire an fly, i was on a rampage. now that i know i need to equip weapons, im good LOL

so far, fun factor is high, learning curve is high but not retarded high.
That's good. I like to find games once in a while that make people happy and have fun. That's what gaming is all about. :lol:

edit: Here's another responce from someone else who is doing the beta version:
You can move your ship by pointing and clicking (and holding) as well. When you hold down the mouse button, your thrusters turn on and your ship starts moving in the direction of your cursor. Releasing the left mouse button shuts off the thrusters and your ship stops.

Alternatively, you can go to Game Options and turn on the "Thruster Cursor" option. When it's on, toggling on the thrusters with the W key makes the ship always move in the direction of your mouse cursor without you needing to hold down the mouse button. If you left click while in this mode, it automatically shuts off the thrusters by default but there's an option to change that too if desired. This is how I like to play. You can still use the A and D keys while the thrusters are off in this mode to pivot your ship while stationary or to make sharper turns.

When attacking, the skill keys will automatically aim at a valid targest nearest to your mouse cursor so like Bluddy said, most battles will involve hitting the 1 key. If you hold down the skill key, it will keep shooting for you until the target is down but you need to hit the skill key again to attack a new target.
quasimodo
Marshall

Post by quasimodo »

Thanks DL that was exactly what I needed to know. It sounds like I might be able to handle the movement/combat so I will give it a try.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

quasimodo wrote:Thanks DL that was exactly what I needed to know. It sounds like I might be able to handle the movement/combat so I will give it a try.
Great! Let me know how it goes.

And BW, I'm not pimping someone else game. I'm just passing time till YOUR game comes out. :lol:
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Dragonlady wrote:And BW, I'm not pimping someone else game. I'm just passing time till YOUR game comes out. :lol:
No worries- we talk about all kinds of RPGs here. I think Steven over at Soldak makes some seriously cool RPGs. All RPG fans need to look at his catalog of games.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

..update.

Drox Operative is out of Beta and now complete game is done. Of course tweaking here and there continues as players find or complain about things. :)
Demo available. Forum is full of enthusiastic players/new comers.

I'm not playing it though. My old mind just can't get the hang of it. Check it out if you haven't already done so.

edit: oops, here's a link: http://www.soldak.com/Drox-Operative/Overview.html
2nd edit: Here's a link for a review of the game: http://game-wisdom.com/spotlight/drox-o ... g-in-space
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Dragonlady wrote:..update.
Drox Operative is out of Beta and now complete game is done. Of course tweaking here and there continues as players find or complain about things. :)
here's a link: http://www.soldak.com/Drox-Operative/Overview.html
Question to anyone who knows:

How does this game compare to Ambrosia's Escape Velocity series?

I'd be interested in picking up a new game in the vein of the EV series, but when I glanced at the Drox Op. page at Soldak, it looked pretty dissimilar so I decided not to give it a whirl (at least not until I have a lot more free-time).

So, is it a lot like Escape Velocity? Or not so much?...

(P.S. I wish Ambrosia would take up the EV series again, and take it to the next level... :( )
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by deathknight1728 »

Drox Operative is very much like Depths of Peril. It is based on using diplomacy to the right end and space battles too. I thought that it was interesting but couldnt get into it because Im not really a sci fi fan and am more into fantasy, swords and the works. I still paid for the game though to help Soldak because Soldak was the company that got me into Indie companies like this one and Spiderweb Software.

Im really looking forward to Depths of Peril 2 when it gets made!
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

IJBall wrote:
Dragonlady wrote:..update.
here's a link: http://www.soldak.com/Drox-Operative/Overview.html

I'd be interested in picking up a new game in the vein of the EV series, but when I glanced at the Drox Op. page at Soldak, it looked pretty dissimilar so I decided not to give it a whirl (at least not until I have a lot more free-time).

(P.S. I wish Ambrosia would take up the EV series again, and take it to the next level... :( )
I could ask in their forums and get back to you on this.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

IJBall wrote:]

Got an answer for you, sorry it took so long.:
They're quite different, there's only a few key resemblances:

* Combat is action-based
* Top down, 360-degree free-scrolling perspective
* Space is divided into solar systems that you can freely travel between.
* You can trade equipment with credits at friendly planets.

But that's pretty much it. Escape Velocity's entire focus is different. You basically start up a new character, get involved in some prefabricated quest line, and see it through to completion while upgrading your ship (even changing ship chassis) and equipment. Then, start a new character to find other quest lines. Planet ownership does not change hands. There's no diplomacy interface between races so no need for rumor mongering. Planets don't have a true economy so no point in sabotaging them. There's some semblance of dynamic quests, but they're much simpler: take cargo x to random planet y, move a passenger, destroy a ship, ect. No significant quest consequences because there's no 4X game trappings at all. Escape Velocity has a commodity trading system as one way to make money, like a standard Elite clone.
Not many remember Escape Velocity over on the other forum but finally got an answer. Hope it helps. :)
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Dragonlady wrote:Not many remember Escape Velocity over on the other forum but finally got an answer. Hope it helps. :)
Yeah, I saw that answer over there - thanks, DL!

I'll probably check out DO at some point, even though it sounds like it's not exactly what I'm looking for, though I'm already planning on replaying the two Call of Duty games, and possibly the two Close Combats, first.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

quasimodo wrote:Let me know what the combat controls are like. If you have to control movement/camera with one hand and hit multiple buttons quickly with the other hand its not a game for me.

I have no idea. I've gotten the demo (free) but haven't tried it out yet. Just read the forums for Drox stuff. Mainly I play an earlier game called "Din's Curse" . I can handle that one up to level 20ish with a few mods added in. It doesn't bother my carpal tunnel all that much if I keep the play down to under an hour. I don't, generally, like 'real time' games. I like turn-based like the much anticipated Book III. :lol:

Get the demo and check it out. You can always delete it if you don't like it and it only costs you time. :)