Games similar to Eschalon? (with some picky requirements)

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
xforgettherestx
Initiate

Games similar to Eschalon? (with some picky requirements)

Post by xforgettherestx »

I've tried many of the suggestions of so called "similar" games such as:
Baldurs Gate
any of the Spiderweb games (Avadon)
Diablo

I hate the use of the party system as well as the massive maps
I like how condensed everything is, and how I can fully explore everything in Eschalon.
While I eagerly await book III, I desperately need some games similar to Eschalon, in which they have single character play as well as a smaller divided world.

******Important: these games must be mac or slow enough that I can run them on wineskin.
Thanks in advance
Dies a Lot
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Re: Games similar to Eschalon? (with some picky requirements

Post by Dies a Lot »

I recommend that you look at the games over at www.gog.com for a variety of role-playing games. I like the Ultimas and Might & Magic games for role-playing. Some folks really like the Balder's Gate and Ice Wind Dale games. Also, there are some adventure and action games that might fit your needs.

Most of the older games run in Dosbox which runs on the Mac. Also, their prices are very reasonable.

See this post for information about how to get their games running on a mac.

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/general/run ... x_on_a_mac

Hope this helps.

Ron
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

Unfortunately, the reality is that Eschalon is unique. I'm personally not aware of another single player, turn-based RPG that also has non-primitive graphics. As you have discovered, most RPGs are designed for a four-person party. Some of them (like Spiderweb's offerings) can be played by a singleton if you feel masochistic.

There doesn't seem to be much to do but wait as patiently as possible for Book III :(
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

Painted Lady wrote:Unfortunately, the reality is that Eschalon is unique. I'm personally not aware of another single player, turn-based RPG that also has non-primitive graphics. As you have discovered, most RPGs are designed for a four-person party. Some of them (like Spiderweb's offerings) can be played by a singleton if you feel masochistic.

There doesn't seem to be much to do but wait as patiently as possible for Book III :(
But... After Book III comes out, we will (hopefully) never suffer such a shortage thanks to fanmade content!
Salid
Initiate

Post by Salid »

I may humbly suggest a visit to www.dodgysoft.com?

right off the top of my head I don't know anything that would fit your requirements of "single player, world in separate districts, old-school gameplay" better (although, uhm, it fails at "non-primitive graphics" :wink: )

@LordP: Do not underestimate the amount of time and effort that is needed to produce anything of reasonable quality, even with a user-friendly toolbox. And thusly, do not overestimate the amount of said quality content coming your way either. Let's wait for Book III first and then see.
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

Salid wrote:@LordP: Do not underestimate the amount of time and effort that is needed to produce anything of reasonable quality, even with a user-friendly toolbox. And thusly, do not overestimate the amount of said quality content coming your way either. Let's wait for Book III first and then see.
Don't get me wrong. No underestimations here. In fact, I am already planning to create something with it when (or if) it comes out (and maybe even share, if possible!).
VDK
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by VDK »

Im very sad, there are no games like Eschalon out there that I like. I don't like Fallout series and there are really no other rpgs that have decent graphics and offer the ability to play as 1 character over a party. Even Baldurs Gate is meant to be played as a party.

The problem I have with action/rpgs is that they are fun for about 10 minutes and shooters don't interest me. Doesn't anyone else know of any good rpgs like that? I can play real time or turnbased just so long as its a single character.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

VDK wrote:I don't like Fallout series
I understand what each of these words means individually, but as a phrase they're completely incoherent.
VDK
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by VDK »

I just don't understand what the big thing is with the fallout series.

Fallout 1 was somewhat fun but I prefer Eschalon or The Quest to it any day. Its one of those games that I play and am into for a little while, only to get bored after the random encounters in mid game.
noname
Marshall

Post by noname »

SpottedShroom wrote:
VDK wrote:I don't like Fallout series
I understand what each of these words means individually, but as a phrase they're completely incoherent.
I agree. Maybe it is some strange foreign language spoken by a small isolated group of people on a tiny volcanic island in the pacific. :lol:
leshpar
Marshall

Post by leshpar »

Honestly I think the nearest thing you would enjoy that hasn't been recommended yet is the elder scrolls 3: morrowind. I'd recommend daggerfall too, but the graphics of that game are severely dated. I personally love old fashioned graphics, but some people can't see past the pixilization.
TaarNah
Initiate

Post by TaarNah »

Some of the Might and Magic's might fill the bill. Either you just don't recruit or hire additional party member..... or, if you start with a party.... just let some of them die or get killed and don't heal them.

That leaves just you. If you let them die and don't heal them, you may have to look at their "dead" picture for the whole game, but if it gets you playing a fun game, they way you want to....who cares...