Has anyone ever had this much trouble with a game company?

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Has anyone ever had this much trouble with a game company?

Post by deathknight1728 »

Its really just sad but I'm starting to question whether i just suck so bad at these games. Ive got to be the only person in this boat right now.

My problem is that the games i like the most, i have the most frustrating trouble with. I own half of spider web software's games and yet can't complete any other than avadon. I cannot get past half of any of the games that jeff makes and I really am starting to think that he just doesn't know how to make games user friendly.

Has anyone else had this much trouble with one game company? Its just awful.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Re: Has anyone ever had this much trouble with a game compan

Post by Dragonlady »

Humm, I'm the opposite. I haven't finished Geneforge or Avadon. disliked the handholding and you can only go where I say you can go.

Love the others in Spiderweb series. I do admit to using the cheats when available though. And I have my son (42) who beta tested a lot of them so he knows it inside out. :) I'm currantly romping thru the re-release of Avernum 1.

When you get Spiderweb games, do you also buy the hint booklets? Those help a LOT!
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

I would play avernum series, but those games aren't my favorites, their on the bottom of my list. Geneforge i like but, the games are too hard. I only got past the 1st game because the moderators pulled me towards the end. Im starting to think jeff just doesn't know how to make normal games. Avadon has really everything i like. Its got a great story, moderate challenge but i can figure it out. This is the only company where after trying 5 games of the same series and i failed miserably. Seeing as I've never had a problem with understanding games, i think jeff needs a change. He can't make games that people aren't going to be able to beat.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Dragonlady wrote:
When you get Spiderweb games, do you also buy the hint booklets? Those help a LOT!
Oh really? What do the hint books have in them just tips or do they tell you what to do with each fight? (like indiana jones and the fate of atlantis hint book)

Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Hint books have the maps and clues to finishing quests. Where to go, where items are located, and how to solve the puzzles that were really hard in the Exile and early Avernum games.

For how to do fights you get help online. There will be conflicting advice, but most of the replies are from players that have gotten through the games more than once.

Geneforge, Avernum, and Avadon all have different playing styles.

Geneforge is meant to play a Shaper with a large army of creations to do the fighting for you. Agents are for those that like spells and work well too. Guardians are for those that like hack and slash fighting. All of them work best if you specialize in stats and skills for that class. It also is the only series where your actions determine the game ending and what you can do in the game since factions won't help you if you don't help them.

Avernum is a party adventure where you specialize for each character. It's more like old school games.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Just one more question randomizer. Im using a guardian and this time unlike the last few, I'm actually following the right path which is strength, endurance, quick action, parry (not too much) and the basics mechanics and leadership. If I've been using those skills and the right tactics should the rest of the game be really hard to complete with a lone guardian on normal?

Im only asking because, I'm not going any farther if I'm never gonna make it past the rest.

Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

It depends upon the game. Geneforge 2 had what's called broken parry where if you maximized it you got to the point where you rarely took damage in combat and could riposte damage to your foes. Jeff started reducing the effectiveness of parry after that but it still helps.

A guardian should be able to get through the game as long as you don't let yourself get swarmed by foes. Take advantage of the terrain to lure them into doorways or use corners so only a few can attack. I've only played a melee guardian in Geneforge 5, but I've heard good reports for Geneforge 3. I've always hated the melee guardian because it has trouble with range attacking creations like vlish that can stun or slow.

Mental magic even though it is expensive for a guardian is very powerful to charm foes. But some players get through the game without it.
ttomm46
Senior Steward

Post by ttomm46 »

deathknight1728 wrote:Its really just sad but I'm starting to question whether i just suck so bad at these games. Ive got to be the only person in this boat right now.

My problem is that the games i like the most, i have the most frustrating trouble with. I own half of spider web software's games and yet can't complete any other than avadon. I cannot get past half of any of the games that jeff makes and I really am starting to think that he just doesn't know how to make games user friendly.

Has anyone else had this much trouble with one game company? Its just awful.
I've had 3 Geneforge Games and avernum 1,2,3..for me its to easy to get stuck halfway through because I never have the right skills or stats....I'm moving on to other games :D
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

Usually when I get super stuck in a game to the point of horrible frustration I just stop playing it and move on to something I enjoy instead. At first I used to feel a little bit like I was a quitter when something like that would happen, but then I had an epiphany. I don't play games to do a frustrating chore, I play games to have fun and be entertained. My leisure time is a heck of a lot better spent doing something fun and enjoyable that banging my head against a wall.
Will Pay For Cloth Map
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

I usually am able to get through most any game. However, I'm afraid I'm going to have to quit on Nethergate because I'm completely blocked out of a corridor. There is no other way out of the dungeon I'm in. It's too bad, but nobody seems to be able to help me solve the problem. It's quite frustrating!
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

sirdilznik wrote:Usually when I get super stuck in a game to the point of horrible frustration I just stop playing it and move on to something I enjoy instead. At first I used to feel a little bit like I was a quitter when something like that would happen, but then I had an epiphany. I don't play games to do a frustrating chore, I play games to have fun and be entertained. My leisure time is a heck of a lot better spent doing something fun and enjoyable that banging my head against a wall.
Very smart words and very much heeded. I think in reality, the games jeff has made are good but the only series i find fun and can enjoy is the avadon series. Avernum is cool but its a create a party rpg and i hate those games. Im hoping that in the future jeff makes more games like avadon that the regular guy can understand. Avernum is simple to understand but those create a party games just aren't fun for me.

Bah, Avadon and Baldurs gate will be released in 2 months, no worries. :)

ttomm46
Senior Steward

Post by ttomm46 »

Painted Lady wrote:I usually am able to get through most any game. However, I'm afraid I'm going to have to quit on Nethergate because I'm completely blocked out of a corridor. There is no other way out of the dungeon I'm in. It's too bad, but nobody seems to be able to help me solve the problem. It's quite frustrating!
I had that same thing happen also..I gave up! :evil: