Baldur's Gate

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Baldur's Gate

Post by Painted Lady »

It looks like the new Baldur's Gate is getting close to being released. The Windows version can be pre-ordered (due September 18). There are Mac and iPad versions coming after that.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Re: Baldur's Gate

Post by deathknight1728 »

Well to be honest, I'm glad that it is. However, they are supposedly going to be making over the sequel and a 3rd baldurs gate after that, along with remaking planescape and doing a sequel to that, and then ice wind dale 1 and 2, and maybe just maybe if they sell enough, we might see another infinity engine game series. But I'm not so sure about that. Id rather they just get my favorite series another go.

They've said all this on the site that if they sell enough they can fund more things. People on gog are obnoxious as they don't want them to remake the game at all. I can't see the logic in that as its still one of my favorite series.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

Wait, someone's remaking Baldur's Gate? Did I miss something? I thought they were only going to make a 3rd game.
ManusDei
Council Member

Post by ManusDei »

Lord_P wrote:Wait, someone's remaking Baldur's Gate? Did I miss something? I thought they were only going to make a 3rd game.
They are remaking Baldur's Gate (Baldur's Gate Extended Edition BGEE), it should be using a better engine. It's mostly the first game, with 3 new characters and some new quests.

If possible, they'll be redoing BG2, maybe Planescape and doing BG3.
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

ManusDei wrote:They are remaking Baldur's Gate (Baldur's Gate Extended Edition BGEE), it should be using a better engine. It's mostly the first game, with 3 new characters and some new quests.If possible, they'll be redoing BG2, maybe Planescape and doing BG3.
Baldur's Gate with a better engine = win!
Arkos
Council Member

Post by Arkos »

It was my understanding the remake was still using the Infinity Engine, it was just going to have a few tweaks to it.
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

From what I've seen of it, the graphical upgrade is rather modest. They did add some new characters, areas, and quests though, which to me is a greater selling point.
Will Pay For Cloth Map
Arkos
Council Member

Post by Arkos »

Yes, unfortunately it will also have paid DLC, as well. :(
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

Am i the only one thinking its just another money grab from a company?

It doesnt sound like enough of an update for me to care, and with all the "ifs" involved, why would i want to buy this?

I understand the "its the best rpg ever made" arguement, since it was a great game(im not in the best ever made camp, i thought it was just great) but there are better out there for my money.

I guess just like anything, its a matter of taste and the skeptic in me.
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
quasimodo
Marshall

Post by quasimodo »

As far as the PC goes it doesn't seem to me that any of the new stuff is any improvement over the BG mods I have played over the years.

I do like the thought of being able to play BG on the IPAD. If they do a good job on the IPAD port I'll get it.
ManusDei
Council Member

Post by ManusDei »

blatherbeard wrote:Am i the only one thinking its just another money grab from a company?
Is is, as well as BasiliskWrangler is trying to grab our money with Eschalon Book (and he is welcome to do it).
But it is also a way to get younger players to try that old rpg, those that wouldn't try it because of the old graphics (who knows, it might help getting some new great rpgs out).

For example, myself, I installed Arena a few weeks ago (Elders Scroll, the first one), and didn't play long because I couldn't find how to increase the line of sight. With the possibility to see farther away, and a better engine, i would buy it (and Daggrefall and so on).
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

That is a new area? :o :(
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

The latest on the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Addition:
PC - 19.99 - release on September 18 - can pre-order - download from Beamdog
Mac - 19.99 - release in September
iPad - 9.99 - release in September

My big decision is whether to buy the Mac or iPad version.....
ManusDei
Council Member

Post by ManusDei »

Painted Lady wrote:My big decision is whether to buy the Mac or iPad version.....
Both are made by abused chinese people, so does it really matter ? (yes, I'm trolling, I know, but it's been a while since I last did that)
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

I just checked the Baldur's Gate web-site, and it looks like there is some date slippage going on. The PC version, which was due out in mid-September, is now scheduled for November.