Baldur's Gate

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Re: Baldur's Gate

Post by deathknight1728 »

I already checked the forums. It will be out in november, and likely that won't change. Seems they rushed it, thats all. Id rather wait another month or 2 than not have it at all.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

My son just told me you can download the game right now for Mac's but it can't be played until Friday, the offical release date. We believe there is some kind of date app to keep you from playing it now. We also think you can download it now to avoid the heavy traffic on Friday. Here is a link with announcement:

http://www.cultofmac.com/216273/baldurs ... bruary-22/

Probably more in other places, that's the site Google got me to first when I checked to see what the hooplah was about. :)
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
VDK
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by VDK »

One of the problems with the infinity engine games is that real time combat is ridiculously confusing and just doesn't work. Turnbased combat is how rpgs SHOULD be made. Use your brain, not your reflexes.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

VDK wrote:One of the problems with the infinity engine games is that real time combat is ridiculously confusing and just doesn't work. Turnbased combat is how rpgs SHOULD be made. Use your brain, not your reflexes.
Good advice. I'm trying to get thru the tutorial right now. I keep having to restart it as I figure out what icons to click on left or right and how to do things. Right now I'm annoyed about battling bit. I forget to turn off pause or try to hit target and it seems nothing happens. I've got to go slower and mind what my fingers are doing. I've ended up getting screenshots of what the icons are/do so I have a ready reference to check on when needed. My head doesn't retain as much new info as it used to. :)

At least its keeping me occupied till a much better game comes out for Beta testing..ie. Book III. :lol:
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

I've gotten away from BG already. I just really, really think turn-based combat is what makes for a good RPG.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Painted Lady wrote:I've gotten away from BG already. I just really, really think turn-based combat is what makes for a good RPG.
I heard of the game..heh, even way back when playing table games but never played it. My son heard about the Mac version coming out this week and he thought I'd like it since I'm mainly a 1st/2nd ed. DM. I just needed something to distract me for a while.

I'm really going bonkers trying to get through the tutorial. It's giving me headaches, literally. My son heard me screaming..well, cussing..and told me to just play the game. I might do that, not sure. Or, I may just go back to the re-run I was doing of Book II. Or my jigsaw puzzle game. Finding pics off the web and making my own since I've pretty much done all the ones they had in the software (90+)
:D
leshpar
Marshall

Post by leshpar »

For all you people saying this is just a money grab to rerelease BG as an enhanced edition I give you my story:

I missed out on a lot of great RPGs back in the 90s. I was either too young and stupid to enjoy them properly or was too involved in other things to take notice. I have had BG on my radar only slightly over the past couple years and finally decided to buy it for the first time when EE came out. I immediately fell in love with this game. It introduced me to an entire era of CRPGs that I missed out on. I have since went back and bought the original BG1 from GoG as well as BG2 and will be buying IWD 1 and 2 at some point in the near future. I am currently playing through BG1 for the 4th time with an entirely custom party (I changed things up) and fully intend to take this exact team through BG2 and its expansion as well eventually. I am also playing Daggerfall which I would have never found a working copy of it if I hadn't been playing BG and posting on the steam forums for that game.

So, for me especially, I thank whoever is in charge for making that rerelease. You have given me hundreds of hours of enjoyment already with many more to come.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Too bad the specs for Mac are 10.6.8... too high for me, though I just ordered Snow Leopard so I'll see if I can upgrade without any problems.

Considering I already have BG for the PC side, though, I'm not sure yet if spending $20 extra for the Mac version would be totally worth it, anyway, especially seeing as I haven't even played around much with the PC version... . Still, the Mac version looks nice and it'd be nice for the game to be on the Mac side.

I don't know. Conflicted.

(For some reason I thought the Mac version was on GOG... I guess I'd only seen it here, since GOG still only has the PC versions.)
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Evnissyen wrote:Too bad the specs for Mac are 10.6.8... too high for me, though I just ordered Snow Leopard so I'll see if I can upgrade without any problems.

Considering I already have BG for the PC side, though, I'm not sure yet if spending $20 extra for the Mac version would be totally worth it, anyway, especially seeing as I haven't even played around much with the PC version... . Still, the Mac version looks nice and it'd be nice for the game to be on the Mac side.

I don't know. Conflicted.

(For some reason I thought the Mac version was on GOG... I guess I'd only seen it here, since GOG still only has the PC versions.)
I just checked my laptop and it is 10.6.8. Will not work on my older Mac box. But, I'm enjoying the game. My son got it for me, I think right from the site but I'm not sure. :) There are a lot of bugs still and I'm waiting for them to do a patch. The only way you can do one of the first quests is to cheat and by using a cheat program to give your character or as they say 'protagenist' (sp?) :) an Identify scroll. Humm..wonder if you could give it later when you meet up at another town? I think I'll try that with a character I was waiting for my son to fix for me before playing.

Wait till they fix the next patch before buying.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Dragonlady wrote:Wait till they fix the next patch before buying.
Hmm... good idea, I think... looking for the patches now, but GameBanshee's links seem to be broken so I can't find out if all the patches they've released aren't just PC patches, nevermind download them... .
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by deathknight1728 »

Currently on 3rd playthrough of 2 man party, results-

1st Party
Val-she is an elven thief who specializes in traps, stealth, and lockpick/disarm. She wields a 1+ waka ninja blade. Finished game at lvl 9 with:

Kivan-Elven ranger-Lvl 7. Did more damage than val in melee, less damage overall from backstab.

This group was my trappers paradise. With that setup, Sarevok and his whole party were at half health from beginning. It was tough as it took a while, but we both beat him with time.

2nd Party-
Saren-he is a evil swashbuckler that wields a dagger +2 of venom. Lvl 9 with better tanking ability than his companion-

Dorn-Lvl 8 Complete tank, but needs to be healed once in a while. All in all this party had less trouble with Sarevok than previous one. I tested it and Saren (my character) could best dorn in a fight which is pretty good as no backstab. Dorn made this run much better as he is just a complete classic psycho. I don't usually play evil but this one was fun. They were stronger in weapons than 1st party by far.

3rd Party-In progress

Hanz-He is a dark moon monk who specializes in disabling enemies with blind and he is deadly with chilling touch as that makes his fists lethal with cold damage. Seeing as monks lvl up fast, there was no reason for me to make a 3rd party as a rogue. Monks are deadly once you are lvl 3 which is right now. Hanz will not focus on stealth instead going all out with trap disarming. That will make him a defense based character and excellent to have in dungeons.

Kagain-Pure tank. 15 health per lvl up to 8. This guy when you give him dex bracers is the best tank in the game. I guess this means Im doing another evil playthrough. Im hoping finish at a higher lvl this time to make it more powerful.

2 man parties are a lot of fun and offer replayability because you just chilling out with one npc instead of the group. You also have to really think much more than you normally would. If 1 character is getting beat on, switch places, heal, regroup, back in action. Its too risky to lose a character when just 2. Losing 1 automatically warrants a load game.

I cant wait until BG 2 EE! :D
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Well, I finally decided to get it. I was concerned that it might be slow on this computer, but it's not. (I updated the OS a few days ago, so it works, but the computer is slower with it.)

The game doesn't seem to be slowed down, though.

I also found the first unplayable quest, whee!

Anyway, the graphics are nice. And, Temple of Elemental Evil -style shadowing instead of that horrible dithering = awesome. Also...

+ Gameplay area is much bigger (well, this anyone can see from the screenshots) . . . . which means the characters are much smaller... but so is the text, the text is so small it's almost hard to read. The small characters will take a little getting used to, but smaller people and larger area is a good thing.
+ It looks like the smaller size of things means your character moves just a little more quickly, which is good, though I still wish there were a run option.
+ The map has custom markers! This is something I was wishing BG had had... and now we have markers! Yes! I long for markers, I get markers.
+ We can use the mouse wheel to scroll, now!
+ A few extra character images; a minor thing, but nice anyhow, though still not enough of a selection... maybe I can import my own images; I'll have to find out what the dimensions are, so I can do that.

Anyway, so... yeah, so far I'm happy with the game. And it's nice not having to go into the boot camp partition in order to play it.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Edits:

- Looks like the walking isn't actually any faster. I wish it was, but... that's just Baldur's Gate, I guess. I don't think it's entirely the same as with Eschalon, where Eschalon's walking makes you feel like you're part of the landscape, almost.
- After posting the last message, here, I realized I can zoom in and out and make the characters larger or smaller... duh... the big pixels don't look so good, so I keep it small. I like small, anyhow.
- They remapped all the keys, so you have to get used to the new commands. To load or save a game, outside of quicksave, you have to hit O to get to the screen. O for the word "Options", I guess? Still haven't gotten used to that. It doesn't come naturally: save? hit O! It shouldn't be significant; somehow it is, not sure why.
- An annoying bug with certain sound layers coming and going. Nothing game-breaking, yet; maybe I'll find some as I go.

(And, NOTE: The text I was referring to is the text in the pop-up descriptions.)