What should I play?

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

What should I play?

Post by Lord_P »

What RPG/RPG-like game do you suggest?

I have played:
  • Eschalon: Book I & II
    Baldur's Gate 1
    Ultima VII + Serpent Isle
    Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
    Legend of Grimrock
    Diablo II & III
    Hero's Realm
    Dwarf Fortress (adventurer mode is RPG-ish
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: What should I play?

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

You haven't tried any of the Spiderweb Software games? You might want to give Avadon a go. It's a good bridge, I think, though the storyline is much more linear with side quests, but not the free wandering. On the other end, Avernum: Escape from the Pit is extremely non-linear.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Spiderweb games have large free demos except for Avadon. This gives you plenty of time to decide before you buy and the saved games transfer so you don't lose anything.

If you don't mind old interfaces you could try Might & Magic series.
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

I knew someone would mention Spiderweb.

EDIT: Should I get Avadon from the site or from Steam?
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by deathknight1728 »

If you want to play something like diablo 2, but with a much better story ( at least i think so), go with divine divinity from good old games. Its got a great story, feels a lot like ultima and diablo mixed together. Its the only game i play other than eschalon book 1 and 2 that isn't party based.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Lord_P wrote:I knew someone would mention Spiderweb.

EDIT: Should I get Avadon from the site or from Steam?
Probably whichever is cheaper. There have been troubles with the Steam version, but they seem to have been fixed.
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

Tried the demo, loved it, bought Avadon. Great game, but I'm stuck in the Onghror boss battle.. :(
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

That one is a jump up in difficulty. Since it's the last major fight it's a good time to use up wands and potions. Position yourself right and you can hit groups with area effect items. The hard part is not to lose someone to the boss with his huge damage.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

deathknight1728 wrote: go with divine divinity from good old games. Its got a great story, feels a lot like ultima and diablo mixed together. Its the only game i play other than eschalon book 1 and 2 that isn't party based.
I've never heard of Divine Divinity before. Has anyone else played it? It sounds interesting.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Painted Lady wrote:
deathknight1728 wrote: go with divine divinity from good old games. Its got a great story, feels a lot like ultima and diablo mixed together. Its the only game i play other than eschalon book 1 and 2 that isn't party based.
I've never heard of Divine Divinity before. Has anyone else played it? It sounds interesting.
I know I'm the one who's recommended it, but seriously, its a great game and I'm an EXTREMELY picky on rpgs.

Its got a lot of what makes the eschalon series so fun. For example, any character can be played in almost any way, pick any attributes that work, any skills as all 3 characters.

There are 3 classes-Warrior (classic fighter), Survivor (typical rogue with more of an emphasis on noble theft and survival) and mage (classic mage or priest)

You can take the warrior and make a real tough tank character that specializes in axes, strength and endurance, or make a dextrous tank that uses daggers to backstab. There are literally almost endless ways of playing the game and each character can be played many ways.

The game can be played with a more approach towards grinding enemies, or you can play like my rogue character and run up to enemies, taking a few out, and then hide by in the shadow for the next attack.

Its $9.99 on good old games and in my opinion, well worth it.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

Actually its only 5.99 so ever better deal and the reviews seem nothing but positive. Im probably gonna take this suggestion for DD too.

Does this praise extend to Beyond Divinity and DD2
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

Is Divine Divinity a grindfest, hacknslash or a "real" RPG?
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

blatherbeard wrote:Actually its only 5.99 so ever better deal and the reviews seem nothing but positive. Im probably gonna take this suggestion for DD too.

Does this praise extend to Beyond Divinity and DD2
Beyond Divinity is more or less, a create a party rpg where you not only create your main character/skills/attributes, but also your death knight that accompanies you. You choose both his skills, attributes and class. Beyond divinity is more a party based game with teamwork involved in getting past each task.

All the other divinity games are first person/3rdperson and not very good (at least in my opinion).

As for if either games are click fest I would say no more than baldurs gate series or any other game in the infinity engine. The games are real time and since Divine Divinity is solo character you really cant just click your click on everything and hope it dies. You have to move around alot in combat, use terrain as an advantage. When fighting against melee and ranged combatants, you cant just click everything as it will be leaving you open to ranged enemies that are tough to get around. Whats alot of fun is playing a rogue or any finesse character in late game as enemies really push back at that point of the game.

The music and story are also very impressive as well.

I would say that if any of you liked getting a solo character past challenges (like in eschalon) and dont mind real time games like baldurs gate, you will probably like this game.

And if you would rather play a turnbased game by this company, the company is currently making a party based/turnbased rpg set in the same universe and in the same vein as the original divine divinity.

deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Lord_P wrote:What RPG/RPG-like game do you suggest?

I have played:
  • Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
If you liked elder scrolls oblivion, Try Arx Fatalis for pc from good old games. Its got a better story than oblivion and is a lot of fun and like it too.

Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

deathknight1728 wrote: And if you would rather play a turnbased game by this company, the company is currently making a party based/turnbased rpg set in the same universe and in the same vein as the original divine divinity.
Does this new game have a name and/or due date?