Inquisitor

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Inquisitor

Post by deathknight1728 »

Well it was a long time before I actually heard this game would be finished. Whats that 12 years later. I spoke with someone from the team and they gave me the game as I pre-ordered it 2 years ago.

Im very surprised really as a lot of the reviews on good old games, have been brutally harsh. Harsh about the real time combat with no pause and about how the game is just naturally brutal and almost impossible on normal difficulty.

I doubt that all of that is true and I'm sure If I can get used to diablo 2 without pause, I could do this.

Has anyone played this game at all?
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Re: Inquisitor

Post by blatherbeard »

Never played it, and for 15 bucks i think id wait for a sale.

BUT, it sounds interesting and a throwback. and from what i read, it sounds either spiderweb games unforgiving or final fantasy 1 unforgiving, so take that for what its worth.

For 10 bucks, id actually buy it just to give you my take on it.
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

blatherbeard wrote: it sounds either spiderweb games unforgiving or final fantasy 1 unforgiving, so take that for what its worth.
Do you think Spiderweb games are unforgiving?
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

Painted Lady wrote:
blatherbeard wrote: it sounds either spiderweb games unforgiving or final fantasy 1 unforgiving, so take that for what its worth.
Maybe not all, or at all levels of the game, but that would be a definite yes.
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

I think im gonna pass. I could care less about the nice graphics. The game is real time and with no pause button no less. Maybe for others that are fans of baldurs gate and other games, but for me I dont care for those games no more.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

I'll likely get this eventually. I'm fine with real-time and the fact that the consensus on the game is very old-school and brutally hard both appeal to me. Right now though my backlog is just way too long so this game is just going to have to wait (quite a while likely). As it is I'm trying to clear my plate (currently GTA IV and Fallout: New Vegas [yet again]) for upcoming Torchlight 2 loot em up craziness.
Will Pay For Cloth Map
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

sirdilznik wrote:I'll likely get this eventually. I'm fine with real-time and the fact that the consensus on the game is very old-school and brutally hard both appeal to me. Right now though my backlog is just way too long so this game is just going to have to wait (quite a while likely). As it is I'm trying to clear my plate (currently GTA IV and Fallout: New Vegas [yet again]) for upcoming Torchlight 2 loot em up craziness.
Ive been "New Vegasing" it as well. I realized yesterday i never actually, y know, WENT to vegas. LOL

deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Painted Lady wrote:
I got a copy of the game for free as I bought it 2 years ago, (it was actually a gift from my dad for christmas). They didn't finish it until now. I was reluctant to try it but now I did as they gifted it through good old games.

After playing 3 hours of the game I can say this game is by far the WORST friggin rpg Ive played and most unforgiving one at that.

Theres a few reasons why, but mostly it ties down to this.

1-Melee, is broken. You will get swarmed in the beginning by bats and other creatures and be unable to fight against even 2 at a time in melee. Ranged combat might be better but I still doubt it. The enemies are tied to a stamina system which really makes the game broken as you will go through 6-7 stamina potions just so you don't pass out (like in arcanum) for one fight.

2-Repairing is broken as well. I started the game with weapons that broke after hitting enemies 7 times, whereas other times the weapons lasted? Its like diablo 2 on crack!

3-Beginning will deter many people as you will have an almost unbelievable time lasting the beginning. I made it to lvl 4 and put my points into the basic skills for knights and everything people on the forums recommended. I can barely handle a group of 2 giant bats.

Mostly the game does have its somewhat ok strongpoints. But even they turn into weak points. While other games like spiderweb and eschalon book 1 and 2 have strong dialog that is to the point; Inquisitor has twice as much dialog as Planescape torment but in a way where each npc you talk to can have up to 12 different things for you to say. Try keeping track of that.

This game should really have been better and Im only being harsh because after 12 years, you'd think that they would have at least fixed the ridiculousness of the game.

That was a good waste of 3 hours and I would say that if you want to play a good party rpg that will be similarly harsh but forgiving, baldurs gate 1 enhanced edition is around the corner.