Faster Than Light

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
severian
Senior Steward

Faster Than Light

Post by severian »

http://www.ftlgame.com/

a great indie game to be released soon.

I`ve been watching some pre-release gameplay streaming on twitch, and it looks awesome!

Basically, it`s a space opera style rpg/strategy mix, but gameplay mechanics are similar to rougelike and paragraph text style games.

You start as a ship captain in a federation on a verge of civil war, and you are sent on an important federal mission.

You make space jumps from system to system, each time facing a new event, there is ship and crew micro management, space battles, quests and more.

Events after each jump are set with some random factor, there seems to be quite a lot "achievement-unlocked" ship designs, systems, weapons and stuff, depending on players scores and progress.

The roguelike factor makes dying quite easy, but replay after replay you gain more knowledge and experience, so you advance further, gain more points, unlock better ship designs, et caetera.

To me, the game has that Master of Orion style, which is a pro (for me).

This game is a must for any hardcore rpg fan, I`m definitely buying it ^^
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Faster Than Light

Post by SpottedShroom »

real-time... roguelike
You keep using that word. I do not think you know what it means.
severian
Senior Steward

Re: Faster Than Light

Post by severian »

SpottedShroom wrote:
real-time... roguelike
You keep using that word. I do not think you know what it means.
and by "You", you mean who? because I have not used "real-time" at all, perhaps you are quoting from the game page.

quote, me: "gameplay mechanics are similar to(...)"

an it is: the game has a randomly generated "dungeon", killing baddies, gaining exp, levelling, getting better equipment...and even has some quests.
death for beginners may be quite quick, but as a player gains knowledge of the game it allows to go "deeper in dungeon".

the game reminds me of ADOM, which is a very advanced roguelike, but still keeps random factor.
FTL is even more close to basics than ADOM, because is`t more random.