Project Eternity

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Project Eternity

Post by sirdilznik »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obs ... y?ref=live

http://kotaku.com/project%7c-eternity/

Isometric, party-based, story-driven RPG that "bring back the spirit of Infinity Engine games"?

Will Pay For Cloth Map
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Re: Project Eternity

Post by sirdilznik »

Jedi_Learner wrote:I was interested enough to click your links but straight away lost all interest when I read that Obsidian Entertainment were developing. Even without interference from publishers I seriously doubt they could make a good game.
I personally really like Obsidian Entertainment and pretty much all their games. Fallout: New Vegas is one of my favorite games and in my opinion the best Fallout game made (I'm sure many will disagree). Alpha Protocol was a good and very enjoyable game in my eyes, though disappointing because it could have been really brilliant if not for some wonky mechanics. NWN 2 was a terrific game... once it was patched a billion times, it was a buggy mess when released. I'm one of the few crazy people out there that thinks KotOR 2 was better than KotOR. Heck, I even really like the often criticized Dungeon Siege 3.

To each their own I guess. :wink:

Anyway, this project will have no problem making funding, they're almost at a million of the 1.1 million goal right now, in just one day. They need to start thinking about stretch goals. 8)
Last edited by sirdilznik on September 16th, 2012, 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Will Pay For Cloth Map
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

Although i dont think ill be kickstartering that game, id look at it if it were developed.

Im with Sird, most of the games they've made, ive either played and liked or played and loved.

I think ive played most of the older games and FONV continues to give me fun and is still played by most of the gamers i know, mostly modded, but i usually dont mod.
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

Well, they've shot easily past their target of 1.1 million and have announced some stretch goals including a Mac version at 1.6 million and a Linux version at 2.2 million. I have practically no doubt that they will reach both of those goals. In fact I see them going past the 3 million mark. I guess they better start thinking up some more stretch goals. 8)
Will Pay For Cloth Map
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

Thats pretty crazy, i thought they were only about halfway there when i checked.
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

Arkos
Council Member

Post by Arkos »

I've been thinking about dropping some money on this, but I'm waiting to here something more concrete about what kind of DRM will be on it, if any.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Well, a lot of it will be done through Steam, it says that in the Kickstarter.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

Yeah, they haven't really clarified the DRM question yet, all they've said is that the game will definitely be available through steam. I'm sure they're getting bombarded with the DRM question and will clarify in a future update.

Edit: The just confirmed in an update that there will be a DRM-free (GOG) version of the game available to backers.
Will Pay For Cloth Map
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

Nice update by Chris Avellone all about companions (minus the sea sick camera).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o8GTA8-EPU

People may hold differing opinions of the games Obsidian Entertainment has created over the years, but I think we can all agree that they have generally had interesting and well fleshed out companions. In NWN2 Neeshka is probably still my favorite companion ever, and Khelgar, Grobnar, and Sand were entertaining to have in my group. More recently, Veronica, Cass, ED-E, and Lily were a blast to have around in Fallout: New Vegas.

I'm assuming this is one of the planned companions for Project Eternity. It's always refreshing to see an attractive female character in a game wearing full and functional armor rather than a chain bikini. Also, I'm liking the arquebus she's lugging around.
8)
Will Pay For Cloth Map
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

Obsidian just released another update and boy is it meaty. So unbelievably meaty! Check This out:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obs ... sts/326585

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... LtpG02bZDw
Project Eternity is not only bringing frequent updates, they're also bringing big, meaty, satisfying updates. There is a ton of lore in there, I'm talking like 20+ minutes worth of reading. Really great stuff. Plus 2 more stretch goals:
$3.0 Million - Stronghold

At $2.0 Million, your support funded a player house. Inspired by features like The Sink found in Fallout: New Vegas Old World Blues, the house is a convenient place to store gear, interact with companions, craft items (thanks to the $2.4 Million stretch goal), rest, and buy and sell from special merchants. Some of you wanted something that went beyond the standard player house, allowing you to take control of a full stronghold and its surrounding lands. Well-done strongholds provide players with the ability to make large scale changes, undertake special quests, customize the contents of the stronghold and the surrounding environment, and engage in light strategic gameplay between adventures. If we hit $3.0 Million, we will build a stronghold worthy of the title!

$3.5 Million - Big City #2

Baldur's Gate and Athkatla are big cities. Spanning multiple large maps with a ton of interiors, characters and quests, big cities are a lot of fun. Like strongholds, they also take a lot of work to do well. We're going to have one big city in Project Eternity. Would you like two? If you take us on an exciting adventure to $3.5 Million, we will take you on an exciting adventure to another big city.
Heck yes, a Stronghold! I think that one is reachable and I really really hope they reach that goal. A stronghold will be freakin' fantastic. The 3.5 million goal is most likely out of reach, then again stranger things have happened.

Also, they put out the first screenshot of the game. Now get your spare underwear ready because you might just sh*t your pants:

Disclaimer: Work in progress
It's so perrrrrrrrrrrty. So unbelievably perrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrty! Image
Links to larger versions in update.
Will Pay For Cloth Map
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

sirdilznik wrote: It's so perrrrrrrrrrrty. So unbelievably perrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrty! Image
Son just showed me the link just 10 minutes ago. Downloaded the largest version of the pic you posted. (Gonna put it in my new jigsaw Puzzle game I bought. :) )

Okay, I'm convinced. $ going sometime today.

edit: Kewl! New Rank of Major! :)
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
llew silverhand
Senior Council Member

Post by llew silverhand »

I'm torn on this one. Might kick in. I'll have to watch and see how it develops.
Llew Silverhand - Once and Future Gnome King
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Dragonlady wrote:
sirdilznik wrote: It's so perrrrrrrrrrrty. So unbelievably perrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrty! Image
Son just showed me the link just 10 minutes ago. Downloaded the largest version of the pic you posted. (Gonna put it in my new jigsaw Puzzle game I bought. :) )

Okay, I'm convinced. $ going sometime today.

edit: Kewl! New Rank of Major! :)
Welcome to the Majors, Dragonlady. If you babbled as much as me, imagine what your rank would be. ;-)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:
Dragonlady wrote: edit: Kewl! New Rank of Major! :)
Welcome to the Majors, Dragonlady. If you babbled as much as me, imagine what your rank would be. ;-)
:) I tried at first but just can't keep the book contents in my head very long. Took too long to research answers to peoples queries. Otherwise I'm a quite type of person..most of the time. :)

B on Subj. : Made my donation to the kickstarter prodject only to find out my son had done so yesterday evening! Well, I did a higher one so we can share the perks I guess. :)
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

I will admit, that screenie is awfully pretty.