Another Old School RPG Kickstarter-with cloth map ;-)

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Another Old School RPG Kickstarter-with cloth map ;-)

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

I know there are a few folks here who will enjoy this idea: http://kck.st/UaMARD
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
llew silverhand
Senior Council Member

Re: Another Old School RPG Kickstarter-with cloth map ;-)

Post by llew silverhand »

Looks very interesting - I'm following them for now, and will keep an eye on it. Thanks!
Llew Silverhand - Once and Future Gnome King
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Looks interesting. Thanks for the link. My son just walked by my computer and said he'd been keeping an eye on it already but hadn't pledged yet. I may pledge..gotta think about it a few days. Sounds way cool.
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this and I hope it succeeds, but my biggest concern is that as of right now the details for what this game is actually going to be are still rather scant.

The Two Games For One Kickstarter goal is interesting. It makes me think of Might & Magic IV: Clouds of Xeen and Might & Magic V: Darkside of Xeen. Two games, linked together, essentially forming one large game.
Will Pay For Cloth Map
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

There was an update just a little bit ago. Gonna go look at it now. (son told me) :)
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

Theyre holding notch hostage!!

what im not down with is no idea of what the game will be, aside from an "old school rpg".

Tom Hall comes from games i didnt expect and a co founder of ID, im half sold.

and he shares my last name.

Wizardry on the other hand, impressed me but was never a huge fan of.

Obviously they both have different styles and ideas, so id guess both games would be decent.

The idea that they would bring me my game on a red carpet and red pillow.....i may have to save some cash just for that. But then again, i barely saved 250 for malevolence, im thinking 10k is beyond my ability to save LOLOL
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Dragonlady wrote:There was an update just a little bit ago. Gonna go look at it now. (son told me) :)
Yep, the update gives a good feel for the type of game (or two games) you'd be getting. Two different worlds in a connected universe. Lots of room for adding on more, after, as well.
---

Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

I hope they can pull the games off. Anyone who creating a classic RPG is a hero in my world.
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

Now I'm getting more of a feel for what the game will be with all the extra information in the update. I still have no idea about what the perspective will be, but at least the setting has been revealed somewhat. From what I've read about the game, I'm getting a distinctly Might & Magic vibe, which wouldn't at all be a bad thing. I loved Might & Magic.
Will Pay For Cloth Map
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

Stick a fork in it.
THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT! STAY TUNED....
Update #10 · Oct. 19, 2012 · 88 comments
Uncharted Isles, Mineshaft, Contraption...

In the industry, games are pitched every day. Some make it to the next stage, but many don't, like those named above. We regret to announce that we're adding Shaker: An Old-School RPG to the latter list.

We are profoundly grateful to our fans. You were as excited about this game as we were, and from the very beginning, you encouraged us to post more details about it and even sent in fan art! We have received backing from over 7,000 of you and raised a quarter million dollars in just a few days (!). That's humbling and wonderful.

We are profoundly grateful to the press. You covered our Kickstarter's launch and story update and gave it as much attention as you possibly could. It was through your efforts that many heard about our game.

We are grateful to our friends in the game industry who gave us suggestions, support and critique. We are a wonderfully tight-knit community, and we owe you for all your feedback and friendship.

Ultimately, our pitch just wasn't strong enough to get the traction we felt it needed to thrive. Sure, it may have made it. We could have fought our way to a possibly successful end. In reading your feedback and talking it over internally, however, we decided that it made more sense to kill it and come back with something stronger.

In game design, mercy killing is the law.

So, please accept our thanks and apologies in equal order. Expect something more soon.

You may keep in touch by joining our forum, following @LootDrop on Twitter and friending us on Facebook. Again, thanks so much for your help and support!

- Tom & Brenda
I'm not surprised and this was probably a good move by them, the Kickstarter campaign never really had a chance. I blame two factors on the failure:

1) Timing - Unfortunately this campaign overlapped the one by Obsidian by some 2 weeks and the hoopla over Project Eternity really took the wind out of their sails.

2) Poor Pitch - Their pitch video left a lot to be desired, to say the list. Sure it was well produced and had cameos from the likes of Tim Schafer and Notch, but it was extremely vague, amounting to nothing more than "We want to make an old school RPG". Essentially no details were given at first, not the perspective, gameplay, setting, pretty much nothing. Eventually they rolled out details, but by then it was too late, any momentum they had at the start was gone and everyone's interest had disappeared.
Will Pay For Cloth Map
pitterlee
Pledge

Post by pitterlee »

Hey guys, thought you may be interested in Antharion, a old-school turn-based party-based RPG I'm working on.
piter
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

pitterlee wrote:Hey guys, thought you may be interested in Antharion, a old-school turn-based party-based RPG I'm working on.
We might. Are you going to give us any more information about it?
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

SpottedShroom wrote:
pitterlee wrote:Hey guys, thought you may be interested in Antharion, a old-school turn-based party-based RPG I'm working on.
We might. Are you going to give us any more information about it?
There's actually already a link to the Kickstarter in this forum. (http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/vie ... f=5&t=6030 ) Some of us have even pledged to it. Today's the last day for the Kickstarter campaign and they're about $3,500 short of the goal.
---