[KS] Torment: Tides of Numenera

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

[KS] Torment: Tides of Numenera

Post by sirdilznik »

RPS Interview With Brian Fargo

/faints
//wakes up

So Brian Fargo now owns the Torment IP and is already doing pre-production on a Planescape: Torment spiritual sequel using the Numenera setting (which i know nothing about) as the backdrop and roleplaying system. Sounds like much of the team are PS:T veterans and they're trying to keep the spirit of the original game by keeping many of the same themes; subverting RPG tropes, having a deep personal story that asks profound introspective questions, having a weird setting with deep, interesting characters, allowing players to bypass almost all combat completely if they chose to and are clever enough.

///faints again
////wakes up again
/////reaches for wallet

I know for dang sure I will be backing this, and in a big way, when they run the Kickstarter. Planescape: Torment is my favorite game and in my opinion the greatest RPG ever made. If this game is even 75% as good as the original then it will be a classic. Good gravy, I'm so excited!
:mrgreen:
Last edited by sirdilznik on March 6th, 2013, 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Will Pay For Cloth Map
Sslaxx
Council Member

Re: Numenera: Torment

Post by Sslaxx »

It'll be interesting, for sure! Heard good things about Cook, and I'd be interested to see how this pans out. Never played the original PS:T to my shame, though, so that needs to be corrected as soon as I have the cash!
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Re: Numenera: Torment

Post by sirdilznik »

Sslaxx wrote:It'll be interesting, for sure! Heard good things about Cook, and I'd be interested to see how this pans out. Never played the original PS:T to my shame, though, so that needs to be corrected as soon as I have the cash!
Wait until the next time GOG has a sale on it (they just did during the Winter Sale so it may be a bit) and scoop it up for 50% off for a cool 5 bucks. 8)

Just be warned, Planescape: Torment is light on combat and super heavy on story and dialogue. I'm talking thousands upon thousands of lines of dialogue. Luckily it's some of the best dialogue ever to grace a video game among some of the deepest and most interesting characters.
Will Pay For Cloth Map
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Re: [KS] Torment: Tides of Numenera

Post by sirdilznik »

And the Kickstarter campaign just went live. In just a couple of hours they already have 300k! This is going to reach its funding goal easily and then some. I've made no secret that Planescape: Torment is my favorite RPG ever and what I consider to be the best RPG ever made. Obviously I'm SUPER excited for this. This is literally a dream come true, I'll likely be jumping in at the $75 all digital Numenera Seeker level.

Kickstarter Project:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inx ... a?ref=live

Will Pay For Cloth Map
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

Holy sh....nickers bar, the project already exceeded its funding goal of 900k in less than 6 hours! This is so far on the fastest pace of any video game Kickstarter project and may beat Project: Eternity's record of just over 4 million. So much for isometric PC RPGs being dead. :roll:

Also, more art:
Will Pay For Cloth Map
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

Hopefully it lives up to its predecessor for sure. Nice to see the funding going through the roof.

PE only went to 4mil? hm.

Star Citizen only made 2 mil on the kickstarter but total 8 mil according to their website now where they did their own crowdfunding through their website as well.

Lookin like a great few years for us old skoolers for sure.
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

I kicked in for this one as well. I'm looking forward to the first stretch goal, as I know Mur Lafferty will contribute some great stuff to the game story.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:I kicked in for this one as well. I'm looking forward to the first stretch goal, as I know Mur Lafferty will contribute some great stuff to the game story.
They're already way past the first stretch goal and the second one for that matter. In just over a day they've more than doubled the initial funding goal. Methinks they need some new stretch goals soon.

Female character concept art:

Shadowrun Returns, Wasteland 2, Project: Eternity, and now Torment: Tides of Numenera all wildly successful on Kickstarter. So much for there not being demand for isometric PC RPGs. :roll:
Will Pay For Cloth Map
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

sirdilznik wrote:
Kreador Freeaxe wrote:I kicked in for this one as well. I'm looking forward to the first stretch goal, as I know Mur Lafferty will contribute some great stuff to the game story.
They're already way past the first stretch goal and the second one for that matter. In just over a day they've more than doubled the initial funding goal. Methinks they need some new stretch goals soon.
I saw that after I posted. :) I like the commenter who said that they'd better start thinking about a $10 million stretch goal. ;)
---

sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

They're past 2 million already and have announced a new stretch goal, with the most important part (IMHO) being:
$2.5 Million: George Ziets, Death Mechanics – The Castoff’s Labyrinth, Monte’s Novella, New Companion, Colin’s Apology (Part 1)

Ziets!

We are thrilled to announce that George will be joining Torment as a writer at this Stretch Goal. This is a personally meaningful addition to me. You may know George from his role as Creative Lead on Mask of the Betrayer, where he led the story and character design for the game. Working on that game was one of the highlights of my career and I have George to thank for much of that. His creative aesthetics are perfect for the themes we are exploring in Torment and I’m very much looking forward to collaborating with George again.
Woohoo, George Ziets!

/does happy dance

Also, here's a video update from Colin McComb.

And some awesome music.

In other news, I went ahead and made my $75 Numenera Seeker pledge. I can't wait to check out the digital Numenera Player's Guide.
8)
Will Pay For Cloth Map
quasimodo
Marshall

Post by quasimodo »

I'm in for $75 as well. PS:T is one of my top three games of all time.
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

Update #6:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/in ... sts/427226

LOL at the 'apology' for the Complete Book of Elves.

On a more serious note, the setting and story sound incredible! Stepping into other people's bodies and messing with their lives for better, worse, or just fun and mischief? Yes! Yes! **** yes!
Will Pay For Cloth Map
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

Project reached the 2.75 million stretch goal today, that means +1 Mitsoda. 8)

The writing team on this project is shaping up really nicely: Colin McComb, Monte Cook, George Zeits, and now Brian Mitsoda, among others. That's pretty much a dream team of video game writing. If only they could get Chris Avellone to help out too... :shock:

His work on Project: Eternity will likely prevent that, but a man can dream.
Will Pay For Cloth Map
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

sirdilznik wrote:Project reached the 2.75 million stretch goal today, that means +1 Mitsoda. 8)

The writing team on this project is shaping up really nicely: Colin McComb, Monte Cook, George Zeits, and now Brian Mitsoda, among others. That's pretty much a dream team of video game writing. If only they could get Chris Avellone to help out too... :shock:

So you saw today's $3.5 million stretch goal, right? :)
---

sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:
sirdilznik wrote:Project reached the 2.75 million stretch goal today, that means +1 Mitsoda. 8)

So you saw today's $3.5 million stretch goal, right? :)
Yup, and I just about fainted and **** my pants. Chris Avellone at 3.5 million! Woohoo! Somehow, I bet Brian Fargo had this in his back pocket for a late stretch goal all along. Some may see that as shady, but I have no problem with it. Whatever strategy gets the project the most funding is the best for him, and it's the best for anyone that supports the project or buys the game after it is released too. The more funding, the better the game.

Also, they will add Patrick Rothfuss at an earlier stretch goal. I've never read any of his books, so I can't comment on his work, but he does have an EPIC beard.
Will Pay For Cloth Map