Good indie RPGs: What is out there (beside Eschalon)?

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
IJBall
Major
Major

Re: Good indie RPGs: What is out there (beside Eschalon)?

Post by IJBall »

deathknight1728 wrote:I couldn't resist after the demo. Best $5 I spent. Its very much like Kivi's Underworld (Soldak Entertainment). The main difference is turn based and your control over your character is on what you find that adds to skills/stats. There's a 2nd game on the way which adds 3 new classes and you get a much more normal stat/skill system like Avadon kind of.
I liked Kivi's Underworld, so I'll be sure to check this one out. Thanks!

P.S. Where can you pick up the demo? Or is this like Book I and SpiderWeb's stuff where you download the whole game app, but can only play part of it until you pay and enter the code to unlock the rest?...
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

IJBall wrote:
deathknight1728 wrote:I couldn't resist after the demo. Best $5 I spent. Its very much like Kivi's Underworld (Soldak Entertainment). The main difference is turn based and your control over your character is on what you find that adds to skills/stats. There's a 2nd game on the way which adds 3 new classes and you get a much more normal stat/skill system like Avadon kind of.

P.S. Where can you pick up the demo? Or is this like Book I and SpiderWeb's stuff where you download the whole game app, but can only play part of it until you pay and enter the code to unlock the rest?...
You can get the demo here: http://www.soldak.com/Kivis-Underworld/Overview.html
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Dragonlady wrote:
IJBall wrote:

You can get the demo here:
http://www.soldak.com/Kivis-Underworld/Overview.html
I meant the demo to Cardinal Quest.

I already bought, and played, Kivi's Underworld some time ago... ;)
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

IJBall wrote: I meant the demo to Cardinal Quest.

I already bought, and played, Kivi's Underworld some time ago... ;)
:oops: Oh dear. Sorry. Guess I was having a Senior moment. :lol:
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by deathknight1728 »

IJBall wrote:

The game is available via 7 platforms on this page so just pick the one that works on your computer.

http://cardinalquest.com/

Oh and according to Eschalon's historical doctrines all of the forum dwellers are allowed 8 senior moments per month. That means I have 1 strike left :D
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
LethalBlade
Apprentice

Post by LethalBlade »

Underrail, An indie post-apocalyptic Fallout style RPG:

http://underrail.com/

A demo and a purchasable alpha version are available.
noname
Marshall

Post by noname »

deathknight1728 wrote:
Dragonlady wrote:Never heard of this one. Might have son get it for my Ipad. Maybe.
I couldn't resist after the demo. Best $5 I spent. Its very much like Kivi's Underworld (Soldak Entertainment). The main difference is turn based and your control over your character is on what you find that adds to skills/stats. There's a 2nd game on the way which adds 3 new classes and you get a much more normal stat/skill system like Avadon kind of.
I dunno if I could compare it with Kivi's Underworld. Graphically Cardinals Quest is very primitive, like something from the mid 80's. You have no control over your stats it's all done automatically when you run over a chest. You fight a monster by banging your character into him repeatedly. I enjoyed Kivi's Underground but was bored after 20 minutes of playing Cardinals Quest. True, it only cost $5.00 but I don't think it is worth even that. This is just my opinion though.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

noname wrote:I dunno if I could compare it with Kivi's Underworld. Graphically Cardinals Quest is very primitive, like something from the mid 80's. You have no control over your stats it's all done automatically when you run over a chest. You fight a monster by banging your character into him repeatedly. I enjoyed Kivi's Underground but was bored after 20 minutes of playing Cardinals Quest. True, it only cost $5.00 but I don't think it is worth even that. This is just my opinion though.
Good to know.

This is why I won't plunk down even $5 for a game I can't play the demo of first... :|
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Planet Stronghold

Yes this is currently eating up my time as I am almost finished with book 2. Planet stronghold may look eastern or somewhat like an anime, but its very much like western as the guy making it was inspired by fallout. He makes some other games which arent my cup of tea, but whenever he makes an rpg, its very good. I spoke with the developer and he is a pretty cool guy. This game is not for everyone but Im having a blast at it as it reminds me of that tv series: Firefly, which is one of my favorite sci fi shows.

The game has many different ways of making a character with almost too many noncombat skills allowing many different ways of solving problems without fighting. There are 4 different character classes which correspond to the usual fighting/mage classes. Theres a free demo on the site so if anyone's interested you've got nothing to lose.

http://www.winterwolves.com/planetstronghold.htm
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
Sslaxx
Council Member

Post by Sslaxx »

deathknight1728 wrote:Planet Stronghold

Yes this is currently eating up my time as I am almost finished with book 2. Planet stronghold may look eastern or somewhat like an anime, but its very much like western as the guy making it was inspired by fallout. He makes some other games which arent my cup of tea, but whenever he makes an rpg, its very good. I spoke with the developer and he is a pretty cool guy. This game is not for everyone but Im having a blast at it as it reminds me of that tv series: Firefly, which is one of my favorite sci fi shows.

The game has many different ways of making a character with almost too many noncombat skills allowing many different ways of solving problems without fighting. There are 4 different character classes which correspond to the usual fighting/mage classes. Theres a free demo on the site so if anyone's interested you've got nothing to lose.

http://www.winterwolves.com/planetstronghold.htm
The demo of that I checked out was pretty interesting. Might be worth buying. Wonder how much work must've gone into making this, seeing as Ren'Py (what is used for Planet Stronghold) is primarily a Visual Novel engine.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

Planet Stronghold is decent. The RPG elements, while not anything to write home about, are surprisingly deep for what's essentially a visual novel and RPG mashup.
Will Pay For Cloth Map
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

I havent finished Stronghold yet, but from what Im told, Loren is better in every way. Its fantasy with swords, bows and the works, has a class system, party based and has been praised all over. Im going to that next, of course after I replay Book 1 when done with book 2 :)

sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

deathknight1728 wrote:I havent finished Stronghold yet, but from what Im told, Loren is better in every way. Its fantasy with swords, bows and the works, has a class system, party based and has been praised all over. Im going to that next, of course after I replay Book 1 when done with book 2 :)
Well, to the best of my knowledge, Planet Stronghold was their first foray into RPG territory, so I would fully expect Loren Amazon Princess to be better since they now have some experience with the genre.
Will Pay For Cloth Map
Xex
Apprentice

Post by Xex »

If you liked Quest for Infamy and Quest for Glory then check this out:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/211 ... -adventure

You can back this for only $6.00 (198 slots left) for the full game once it's out. Graphics look great, better than Infamy and Hero-U (artist is the same as Hero-U)

The guys that are making this made the QFG remakes and Kings Quest remakes. Combat looks better than QFG series, though somewhat similar to QFG 5.
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

Actually the 6 dollar pledge is not available.

Looks interesting.
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.