Mars: War Logs

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Mars: War Logs

Post by sirdilznik »

So this title came out of the blue, at least for me. After hearing some mildly positive things, I pulled the trigger. Bought it off Green Man Gaming for $16 after a 20% off voucher (It's $20 normally). The game is basically a mashup of Rage, Dune, Firefly, and Chronicles of Riddick, with The Witcher 2's combat system and classless, 3 skill tree RPG advancement.

The graphics and production value are really good for a budget $20 indie title, but AAA it definitely is not. It has some lipsyncing issues, bad to mediocre voice acting, and is full of cliches. Still, underneath all that is a halfway decent story, if you're down with campy, and some good fun to be had. The combat is pretty decent, involving attacking, blocking, rolling around, using ranged attacks, and placing traps. The 3 skill trees, divided into combat skills, rogue-ish skills, and mage-ish skills, allow you to focus on the parts of combat you like best, or jack of all trades it, though you will never very profoundly change how combat plays out. Like in The Witcher, where Geralt is who he is, in Mars: War Logs, Roy is who he is.

The game promises choice and consequence, but I'm not deep enough in yet to say whether it lives up to that. Anyway, a couple hours in, I've been having a good time. I definitely don't regret the purchase one bit. It's a budget title, but it's worth the very reasonable price IMHO.
Will Pay For Cloth Map