Games Like Eschalon?

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
KANSAS
Initiate

Games Like Eschalon?

Post by KANSAS »

I am new to gaming. Eschalon was the first game that ever made a huge impression on me and I instantly became hooked. I'm wondering if there are other games like Eschalon out there with similar graphics and old school rpg play? What would you recommend to a newbie who just fell in love with Eschalon and this genre?

Do tell oh wise game fans.

Sincerely,

KANSAS
rikus
Initiate

Re: Games Like Eschalon?

Post by rikus »

if you're looking to being immersed in good RPG's, these are the all times isometric RPG's-
Planescape:torment
baldur's gate 1,2
gothic 1( 3rd perspective action rpg but an amazing game with incredible depth and immersion)
fallout 1,2
arcanum
divine divinity 1

maybe if you'll have more time these are the less fun games, but still okay-
neverwinter nights 1,2
icewind dale 1,2
KANSAS
Initiate

Post by KANSAS »

Thanks mate, this is exactly what i was looking for. i'll be starting to head out to play these as soon as i can.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

KANSAS wrote:Thanks mate, this is exactly what i was looking for. i'll be starting to head out to play these as soon as i can.
If you're on GoG.com (Good Ol' Games) they're having a sale that gets you a lot of those together for about $21.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

Also, depending on what it is about Eschalon that trips your trigger, you might want to check out Spiderweb Software. Their games are also turn-based. The graphics are simple, but the writing is deep. The PC and Mac version have demos, so you can take a peek to see if you like them.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Well, if you're looking for indie old-school half-isometric/half-overhead, turn-based RPG's there's, for two, Teudogar and (new & available (half-price on GOG for the next 2 weeks) ) Driftmoon... .
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
KANSAS
Initiate

Post by KANSAS »

Aren't most of the spiderweb games with a group of people. You see I much prefer to be one character.

Thank you all for the great help!!

KANSAS
Painted Lady wrote:Also, depending on what it is about Eschalon that trips your trigger, you might want to check out Spiderweb Software. Their games are also turn-based. The graphics are simple, but the writing is deep. The PC and Mac version have demos, so you can take a peek to see if you like them.
Painted Lady wrote:Also, depending on what it is about Eschalon that trips your trigger, you might want to check out Spiderweb Software. Their games are also turn-based. The graphics are simple, but the writing is deep. The PC and Mac version have demos, so you can take a peek to see if you like them.
Evnissyen wrote:Well, if you're looking for indie old-school half-isometric/half-overhead, turn-based RPG's there's, for two, Teudogar and (new & available (half-price on GOG for the next 2 weeks) ) Driftmoon... .
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

KANSAS wrote:Aren't most of the spiderweb games with a group of people. You see I much prefer to be one character.
I am like you in preferring single-player games. The SpiderWeb series can be single player if you wish. It is not all that easy in the Avadon and Avernum series, but there is an older series called Geneforge. Those are basically single-player.
leshpar
Marshall

Post by leshpar »

I absolutely fell in love with avernum. I am still working on the first one, but GoG sells all 6 on their site for a low price as one bundle.

Don't like the antiquated graphics? For avernum 1 anyway, they did a redo of it called Avernum: Escape from the Pit. This is available on steam.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by deathknight1728 »

Its really too bad that there aren't many games out there like Eschalon. I love party based games but nothing is more exhilarating than fighting General Ghorr or The Master with just a single character. I just finished General Ghorr fight and he actually ran away from me when I got him low on health. My character wasn't too great with stats so I guess General Ghorr just wasn't in good shape during that fight :lol:
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
Leezar
Marshall

Post by Leezar »

You should try Realmz. It was the main competition to Exile and Ultima (the latter I hated because it was way to textbased) for all Mac-users. It does exist on PC too and is fixed to work on modern systems. I have a 2 ghz windows 7, and it works.

The only problem is, all scenarios except the first one is password protected, and the company does not exist anymore, so you can not actually get the codes, even if you have the money. No worries though, the main campaign which is for free is one week or so worth of exploration.

Edit: I just remembered, I actually do have (7x1,4 mb discettes) Blades of Exile for Mac, which is interesting, because the graphics are actually BETTER than in Avernum. Unfortunately, even if you have a G3 or something, I still cant share it though, because that would be illegal.
Roughly at the same time I penetrate your betrothed, you will be penetrated by this sharpened pole
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Blades of Exile is now free, open source, and there are players making versions that run on newer computers.

Here is one place to get it:
http://code.google.com/p/openexile/