GOG

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

GOG

Post by Evnissyen »

So, everything on GOG is half-price for the next two weeks... might start splurging on games on my wishlist that I might not play for a while. Right now, after all, I'm fixated on Baldur's Gate (Enhanced Edition on Mac) and Jade Empire. Jade Empire I've been holding off on for a while, but it actually is a very good game, so far (well, in my opinion).

Arcanum has been set aside yet again. I got tired of the Black Mountain grind, and last I left it, I was at the verge of the lowest level... when I get back to it I'll probably head back to town before going back and continuing.

I like Arcanum, but non-linear games bother me. It's a little worse with Baldur's Gate. I always feel lost, without direction, and always pushing through areas that 'aren't meant for my level at the moment', then having to breeze through 5-10 areas that I didn't know were supposed to be gone through at lower levels, for very little experience. Annoying as hell.

Geneforge 1 was the worst. Ugh. I must've spent 3 hours cleaning out at least 5 areas with no xp gain because I hadn't realized I was supposed to go there much earlier. Crazy. I was so happy that Jeff Vogel traded the non-linear for semi-linear.)

(That's why the Red Team's insistence on a non-linear, "open-world" Witcher 3 makes me so apprehensive. I don't want to wander a huge world without any narrative thread. I like stories, I don't like guessing which areas I'm supposed to address at which point.)

(Okay, non-linear rant over. :) )
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Re: GOG

Post by blatherbeard »

I absolutely loved Jade Empire.
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Re: GOG

Post by Evnissyen »

As far as I am into it, I'm crazy about this game. I can't stop playing it.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.