Baldurs Gate EE Controversy-Very Depressing

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Baldurs Gate EE Controversy-Very Depressing

Post by deathknight1728 »

This is just the worst piece of news to have happened for rpg fans. Atari has done it again and this time they took a game I actually like.

It would seem that we aren't going to be playing BG 2 Enhanced Edition any time in the future. It just sucks because if anything I wouldn't be playing Eschalon series and the rest of the games I like if I didn't play Baldurs Gate first.

I hope they at least are able to finish Baldurs Gate 2 Enhanced Edition even if Atari wipes the floor with them. Its just such a shame as I really was looking forward to a 3rd game.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Re: Baldurs Gate EE Controversy-Very Depressing

Post by Evnissyen »

...Sigh...

Well, I still have BG2 it on the PC side, even though I won't be able to transfer my character over.

Atari sucks.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
noname
Marshall

Post by noname »

Sorry, I haven't heard. What's going on with BG? Why the tears?
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by deathknight1728 »

Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition is removed from sale until publishing deals with Atari are fixed. Its a bunch of bs.

Atari hasn't made 1 game I would consider to be good and I've given them numerous chances. Demonstone was ok but still wasn't nearly as good as others I have played not by them. The only reason that was feasible was because RA Salvatore wrote the story and even used one of his characters in game.

Baldurs Gate 2 enhanced edition has stated by them it will be made no matter what. The problem is I am just hoping that it doesn't take too long. These games are probably one of my favorites out there and I don't want to see them get ruined by Atari's foiled plots.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
rikus
Initiate

Post by rikus »

what's the extended edition does better than the original? you can still play BG2 and its expansion. its pretty decent graphics and sound, more over if you compare it to indies.
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

Could someone please explain this thing. I have searched the web for answers but I can't find out why they removed it.
rikus
Initiate

Post by rikus »

Lord_P wrote:Could someone please explain this thing. I have searched the web for answers but I can't find out why they removed it.
because there isn't, no one but the people involved knows the answer as to why, and they can't reveal it because of non-disclosure-agreements. meaning confidentiality is legally binding for intellectual property.

I was involved in a similar SSI indie remake, and we got halted also because the rights are held by a bunch of lawyers and not game makers. that means, guys that only care about their money and getting more for their clients. if they have the notion that it can hurt them in any way, they just have enough money to tell you to piss off. in our case it was the giant HASBRO.

but it could be anything, the fact that it is held indefinitely, means its serious disagreement in some major legal IP stuff.
who knows. just play the originals. what's the big deal..
leshpar
Marshall

Post by leshpar »

Evnissyen wrote:...Sigh...

Well, I still have BG2 it on the PC side, even though I won't be able to transfer my character over.

Atari sucks.

You can transfer your character over. Move your BG1 save data to the BG2 save data folder, then select import from the BG2 menu, and go to that folder and select your BG1 data. Works like a charm. Even when going from EE to original release.