What is the best thing in Eschalon Series?

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

What is the best thing in Eschalon Series?

Post by deathknight1728 »

After replaying Eschalon Book 1, it became apparent that my favorite thing I didn't use last time was the reinforcement forces from the giants. I played through the 1st time and didn't use that. The 2nd time I thought that was epic because while it was still a solo character game, you sort of have a party based dynamic. I would just love to watch the battle fold out and see if my warrior comes from the right giant, whether I will hold strong or have to move back towards the other giants.

More rpgs should utilize this as it is an awesome feature. It is basically taking the sole character part of the game and making it obsolete for a moment or two. Its the opposite of Avadon where you only control your character in certain missions other than all your party members.

There can't be one answer to this question. What is your favorite thing that you like about Eschalon Series?
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: What is the best thing in Eschalon Series?

Post by Randomizer »

Open world where you can explore almost any place that you like to and are strong enough to without dying repeatedly.

In Book 1 only the end was forced in that you needed the Crux and keys to finish it. Book 2 limited you a bit more in that you needed the Citizen's Writ to explore the Nor'land and the quest to use the ship.

Still there were usually more than one way to get past obstacles and you could pick based upon the character type and skills that you were playing. I miss that from the old Spiderweb games since the new ones are more linear world.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Randomizer wrote:Open world where you can explore almost any place that you like to and are strong enough to without dying repeatedly.

In Book 1 only the end was forced in that you needed the Crux and keys to finish it. Book 2 limited you a bit more in that you needed the Citizen's Writ to explore the Nor'land and the quest to use the ship.

Still there were usually more than one way to get past obstacles and you could pick based upon the character type and skills that you were playing. I miss that from the old Spiderweb games since the new ones are more linear world.
Yeah I know what you mean. I am playing through Avernum Escape from the Pit right now as its just like you mentioned (3rd playthrough). Have you played through that? Oh and randomizer, you should play the Quest by Redshift. Its a solo character, first-person rpg like eschalon. Its completely nonlinear like eschalon and avernum and is quite a challenge too. Its kind of like a homage to Bard's Tale.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
Nevermore
Marshall

Post by Nevermore »

Engaging storyline and of course an open and detail world. Also endless possibilities to build the hero you want: from a mighty warrior to a mage\assassin\bard one.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

I just did two back-to-back replays of Book II. The first was a True Mage + Pacifist and the second was a True Warrior. I really enjoyed the same game being driven by completely different needs.

I think the replay potential with Eschalon is amazing.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Painted Lady wrote: I think the replay potential with Eschalon is amazing.
I find the "replay" value to have been much higher in Book I. Maybe it's because Book I was first, and I was driven to understand the underlying game mechanics of Eschalon; or maybe it's because Book I is shorter ("shorter" = "greater replay value" (generally) IMO). I also think the beginning of Book I is just solid and more interesting (that definitely helps in replay value...).

But I've struggled to replay Book II. I thought I might try to tackle that again this Summer, but I never did... :?
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Really? I always found Book II to be better for replay, precisely because of the early game. It's possible to level up a few times without really having to fight anything, which helps gets unconventional builds off the ground.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Exploding Barrels.

/end discussion

:mrgreen:
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

CrazyBernie wrote:Exploding Barrels.

/end discussion
You really have to be excited about the upcoming fuses for exploding barrels 8)
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

If we could only have rolling exploding fused barrels... my life would be complete. :mrgreen:
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

IJBall wrote:
Painted Lady wrote: I think the replay potential with Eschalon is amazing.
I find the "replay" value to have been much higher in Book I. Maybe it's because Book I was first, and I was driven to understand the underlying game mechanics of Eschalon; or maybe it's because Book I is shorter ("shorter" = "greater replay value" (generally) IMO). I also think the beginning of Book I is just solid and more interesting (that definitely helps in replay value...).

But I've struggled to replay Book II. I thought I might try to tackle that again this Summer, but I never did... :?
I thought that way too at first. This is my 2nd time playing through book 2 and its going great. The first time I maximized strength. This time I am going for concentration and speed. I actually think the battle disciplines on each weapon- with different statbuilds, makes more replay value. Of course that's just one opinion.