Avernum 1.0.1 ~ my old friend

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
mr. sneakers
Initiate

Avernum 1.0.1 ~ my old friend

Post by mr. sneakers »

Like many waiting for EB-III I have to do something, and I have played with the other games from Spiderweb Software, Avadon, Avernum 4,5,6 but somehow I always end up back at Avernum.

I started my computer life with a Macintosh SE30. And Exile: Escape from the Pit, was my intro into the wonderful world of computer games.

I looked at my old saves the other day, discovered it has been four years since I have played this game. It has been good weekend to return to the caves. :)
VDK
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Re: Avernum 1.0.1 ~ my old friend

Post by VDK »

I like Avernum and its one of the great rpgs. The only problem I have is that I never finish any of the games in this century. The games are just too long for me and I get bored and stopped playing. I can finish a game that is 40 hours but 60 hours and more is too much as I work most of the time.

Maybe Jeff will make some new rpgs that are shorter. He is still one of the best damn writers and storytellers out there.
ttomm46
Senior Steward

Post by ttomm46 »

VDK wrote:I like Avernum and its one of the great rpgs. The only problem I have is that I never finish any of the games in this century. The games are just too long for me and I get bored and stopped playing. I can finish a game that is 40 hours but 60 hours and more is too much as I work most of the time.

Maybe Jeff will make some new rpgs that are shorter. He is still one of the best damn writers and storytellers out there.
the games are too long and like Geneforge get stuck late in the game with a character build that doesn't work.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

ttomm46 wrote: the games are too long and like Geneforge get stuck late in the game with a character build that doesn't work.
If you are having trouble with a reliable build, you should read the walk-through hints before you start playing. They can be found in the section for each game. Many of them are by Matt P, and they are very well done.

My worst experience was reaching the final battle in Geneforge 2 and discovering that I was totally dependent on Submission batons, and there were no more thorns to be had. Had to start all over from the beginning. What a dumb move.........