Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall

Post by Farwalker »

Just finished this... it's very good, I quite enjoyed it.

Marketing-wise they'd be smart to make this work standalone, to make it more attractive to people to try. Having to buy both SRR and the Dragonfall campaign to play Dragonfall will probably turn off a lot of folks.

Anyone else give it a try?
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Have it but haven't had a chance to play yet. I enjoyed SRR, so I'm looking forward to trying it.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
vdweller
Senior Steward

Post by vdweller »

I enjoyed Dragonfall a lot, storywise.

Technical shortcomings aside (there was a lot of frustration on that field), I don't remember the last time where I was so fondly invested in a game's dialogues or atmosphere.

Of course there has to be some familiarity with the general concepts of cyberpunk (not lore-wise but rather what it is as a genre). People who like more Tolkien than William Gibson might not become so interested by the game's premise.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Well, the game does look very pretty, and nicely designed and smoothly/carefully animated...

vdweller: you said you liked the story, so this might sound like a stupidly redundant question, but are the narrative and writing of Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall really that good? And how strong is the character development, do you think? (I've looked at one video of it, but the text was kind of blurry. I'll look some more but I thought I'd ask your opinion.)

Like, say, how would Shadowrun Return's writing compare to Troika standards, for example? I'm starting to think I might very well pick this game up after I'm done with Eschalon III, while I'm waiting for Pillars of Eternity & Tides of Numenera.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

Farwalker wrote:Marketing-wise they'd be smart to make this work standalone, to make it more attractive to people to try. Having to buy both SRR and the Dragonfall campaign to play Dragonfall will probably turn off a lot of folks.
Yes, I would have snapped this up if it was stand-alone. I'm not really into urban and future settings, the reviews for the first game were so-so, it was an easy decision for me to give it a pass, but now the reception of the sequel is much better, and I'm starting to get torn about it.
Here's GameBanshee's review that I've just read: http://www.gamebanshee.com/reviews/1133 ... eview.html, and they're ending with the words:
Simply put, Harebrained Schemes has managed to polish their title and outclass their original content output, to the point that I'd recommend new players to start from the expansion rather than from the original campaign.
Damnit! But I haven't got the first one!! :cry:
Sigh... I'll probably wait for a sale to come. They're bound to offer both parts in one deal at some point.
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Farwalker »

KillingMoon wrote: Sigh... I'll probably wait for a sale to come. They're bound to offer both parts in one deal at some point.
I think I saw a combined deal on Steam recently, but I don't recall the discount.
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

Farwalker wrote:I think I saw a combined deal on Steam recently, but I don't recall the discount.
I do; it was 66% off the first one, 33% off Dragonfall. Not a combined deal, but still the kind of thing I was waiting for. I snapped up the first one.
I still have to play it, though, I'm only playing Age of Wonders III now.