Avernum: Crystal Souls

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Avernum: Crystal Souls

Post by Randomizer »

The remake of Avernum 2 from Spiderweb Software is released today. Available from their website, Mac App Store, Steam, and GoG.
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Re: Avernum: Crystal Souls

Post by blatherbeard »

just looked but cant see where anything is different about it.

how is it a remake?
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Since the last Avernum 2:

A skill tree has replaced the older skill point system.
Caches are added.
A few new quests.
Junk bag for quick sales of all that stuff you are never going use
Some new items
Spells have changed
Battle disciplines
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

Cool, Ty Randomizer.
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Cool. I had been checking the last several weeks and hadn't seen the announcement yet. And no newsletter from Spiderweb (unless it's suddenly going to my junk folder).
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

I've been enjoying this remake so far, though I had to start over because I'd forgotten how Jeff had set up the level-up pages and wasn't increasing my mage's or priest's magical abilities.
---

Leezar
Marshall

Post by Leezar »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:I've been enjoying this remake so far, though I had to start over because I'd forgotten how Jeff had set up the level-up pages and wasn't increasing my mage's or priest's magical abilities.
Uhhh... you ARE aware that there is a built-in character editor?
Roughly at the same time I penetrate your betrothed, you will be penetrated by this sharpened pole
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Yes, I'm aware of that. I just don't like to USE the character editor. I prefer to develop my characters as I go along in the course of exploring the game. Besides, I wasn't that far into the game that starting over was an issue.
---

Leezar
Marshall

Post by Leezar »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:Yes, I'm aware of that. I just don't like to USE the character editor. I prefer to develop my characters as I go along in the course of exploring the game. Besides, I wasn't that far into the game that starting over was an issue.
FYI you have the wrong attitude. The editor is there to help you rebalance the game, to fix what the creator should have fixed himself. Like, -5% chance to hit because you wear armor? Absurd! Just give your char a level in steady hand and you yourself have designed away flaws. The trick is to not get greedy and max all number you can find, because then you ruin the game experience, but done in moderation you actually only improve upon the game.
Roughly at the same time I penetrate your betrothed, you will be penetrated by this sharpened pole
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:Yes, I'm aware of that. I just don't like to USE the character editor. I prefer to develop my characters as I go along in the course of exploring the game. Besides, I wasn't that far into the game that starting over was an issue.
I actually like the way Jeff solved this problem in Avadon II - there was a trainer you met mid-game who would re-train anyone in the group that wasn't working out for you. Nice idea.
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

I've been enjoying this game. I completed the third major quest last night. I found it a bit easier than Avernum 1. I love the way the Episode 1 maps were "reused" but updated for current circumstances, passage of time, etc, and there are plenty of new places to explore too. Great fun!

Can't wait for Avernum 3 to get updated! (I never played any of the originals, and would love to be able to play them on my new Mac. But apparently only gog.com has a versions that works, and only on hard drives not formatted with Mac OS Extended - which is the out-of-the-box default on new Macs. Sigh...)
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Leezar wrote:
FYI you have the wrong attitude. The editor is there to help you rebalance the game, to fix what the creator should have fixed himself. Like, -5% chance to hit because you wear armor? Absurd! Just give your char a level in steady hand and you yourself have designed away flaws. The trick is to not get greedy and max all number you can find, because then you ruin the game experience, but done in moderation you actually only improve upon the game.
FYI it's not a question of a wrong attitude. It's a question of a different play style. You don't like the balance of the game, so you think the editor is there to fix something. I say the editor is there to offer players who want it a choice, as Jeff wants to make the game fun for as wide an audience as possible. But people who choose to play the game differently are not wrong. I find my fun where I find it, how I find it. Which may not be the same as you. That's life, and it's a good thing--no matter how complicated it makes stuff for the game designers.

I've been having a good bit of fun with this game. I especially like the moments of playing with kids or taking time to do stuff other than just wander around and kill things. It makes the world feel more real to me.
---