Pillars of Eternity

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Pillars of Eternity

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Anyone else been playing Pillars of Eternity since it came out? This was one of the first Kickstarters I backed among video games, and the third one to actually be released.

I'm having fun with it. I enjoy some of the interesting class choices. Lots to explore.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Pillars of Eternity

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Was this game called the "spiritual successor" to Baulder's Gate?

I haven't played it yet but it looks great. I've overspent my game allotment for H1-2015, so if anyone sees this on sale, post it here. I'd love to pick it up.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Yes, it very much has a Baldur's Gate feel. Some really cool classes (Monks, Ciphers, etc) with some very unique play styles. I think the balance on some of the character traits is a bit off (some that are important for certain class builds don't get used very much for other things in the game, and leaving a lot of room for min/max gamesmanship, meaning certain classes will naturally fair better throughout the game as your main PC).

I'll definitely watch for a sale on it and let you know, though.
---

blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

After buying Shadows of Mordor(at half price including season pass 25 bucks woo hoo!) this is the next one i buy. I meant to Ks it but if fell off my radar til release. :/

Itll have to wait til i get back from our European Vacation though! (Uk Ireland and Scotland are never gonna be the same! ;) )
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

I'm probably still only half way through the game. It's pretty big and still a lot of fun, but you'll want to wait until they've killed a couple more really obnoxious bugs. The next update should get rid of an issue that took away my enjoyment for a week: if you left inventory on your companions but left them at your stronghold rather than in the party (you can only have 5 with you and there are 8 possible pre-made companions, plus any you hire and build) there's a good chance those inventory items will vanish. Happened with some very important items in my game. :(
---

mercy
Apprentice

Post by mercy »

Graphics is awesome, but the gameplay is 3/10 because of the utterly catastrophic combat solution they use and it becomes apparent when fighting with a full party and lots of monsters its a chaotic mess, IMO. I can't make myself to play this game even after the patches. Maybe when a MEGA MOD comes out? :( Any Eschalon games had way more fun gameplay than curiously messed-up Pillars of E.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

mercy wrote:Graphics is awesome, but the gameplay is 3/10 because of the utterly catastrophic combat solution they use and it becomes apparent when fighting with a full party and lots of monsters its a chaotic mess, IMO. I can't make myself to play this game even after the patches. Maybe when a MEGA MOD comes out? :( Any Eschalon games had way more fun gameplay than curiously messed-up Pillars of E.
I hd a little trouble with the combat at first, just because of graphics settings. Once I turned them down it is much smoother. But it is "real time" combat more like Dragon Age or so many others, not turn based, so it can get a bit crazy. Especially when you get into one of the really big battles with a dozen or more combatants.
---

blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

No pause play? (DA and baldurs gate style)
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
Arkos
Council Member

Post by Arkos »

I've been playing it since release, which I suppose goes to show how slow I am at finishing these sorts of games nowadays. It's a great deal of fun, though. It really feels like BG3.

And it does have pause play, in fact the combat is centered around the pause button like the old BG games, I'd say.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:Pillars of Eternity is currently on sale at Steam with 33% off. Have you finished the game yet Kreador Freeaxe?
I haven't. I put it on hold while I waited for them to fix a fun-killing bug (stuff disappearing from the inventories of companions if you leave them at the Stronghold) and life has gotten in the way of picking it back up. I was about 85% done with my first play-through at that point.
---

vdweller
Senior Steward

Post by vdweller »

Finished, it was actually pretty good. Plus, the removed backer limerick issue provided good popcorn reading in places of justice all over the internets.
VDK
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by VDK »

I didnt like it at all. I couldnt even play it. I have a 1 year old pc which runs just about any and it was too slow. On top of that the infinity engine is better and has much more cool graphics Imo. I made a character and was enthused by the choices. Got through a 3 minute wait time for journal screen, then went to the intro. The game was running slow and I checked howlongtobeat This game runs slow and is that long. Done.,...
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

VDK wrote:I didnt like it at all. I couldnt even play it. I have a 1 year old pc which runs just about any and it was too slow. On top of that the infinity engine is better and has much more cool graphics Imo. I made a character and was enthused by the choices. Got through a 3 minute wait time for journal screen, then went to the intro. The game was running slow and I checked howlongtobeat This game runs slow and is that long. Done.,...
The slow running can possibly be fixed by reducing the graphics preset. I had issues on my iMac (it's the oldest model that's capable of running the current Mac OS) at first, but that cleaned it all up.
---

Parasolsyndicate
Initiate

Post by Parasolsyndicate »

They've instituted party AI in one of the more recent updates, so the gameplay is much better.

I'm not always sold on the writing, but it occasionally hits a high point.