Save game error

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book I
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Save game error

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Do a system-wide search for "*.map" and you will find where the game is keeping the save files. Ignore anything in the installation directory!
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
waryk
Initiate

Post by waryk »

Found the save-game folder. For Mac users, search for "Eschalon Book 1 Saved Games".

Going to try and back mine up as often as I can.
Hallr
Initiate

Post by Hallr »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Do a system-wide search for "*.map" and you will find where the game is keeping the save files. Ignore anything in the installation directory!
Holy cow, Windows sure sucks. I found 9 files with no name, no details and they do not respond to neither left or right mouse button. They also cannot be deleted. Yippi. Could you please mail me a new download link so I can reinstall the game?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Hallr wrote:
BasiliskWrangler wrote:Do a system-wide search for "*.map" and you will find where the game is keeping the save files. Ignore anything in the installation directory!
Holy cow, Windows sure sucks. I found 9 files with no name, no details and they do not respond to neither left or right mouse button. They also cannot be deleted. Yippi. Could you please mail me a new download link so I can reinstall the game?
(XP/2000)
c:/Documents and Settings/username/My Documents/Eschalon Book 1 Saved Games

(Vista)
c:/Users/username/Documents/Eschalon Book 1 Saved Games
-or-
Inside the folder where the game was installed, if the system can't make the directory in the above location.

(Macintosh)
Documents/Eschalon Book 1 Saved Games

(Linux)
user/home/eschalon_b1_saved_games

If you need a new installation file, email me your order number.
Hallr
Initiate

Post by Hallr »

Well, what is weird is that none of those directories exist. But when I open the game, I can still load my old savegames (but they have noe names). I am also able to save in unused slots, but they don't recieve any name.

By the way, I have both e-mailed your support and sendt you a pm a couple of days ago, but haven't recieved a new download. How long will I have to wait, I am kind of eager to play again :)
Hallr
Initiate

Post by Hallr »

Thanks for a new install file, but it didn't do the trick. I still get the same error-messages, but at least I cannot load my old save games. Luckily I have another computer, so now I can at least play on that one.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

I'm wondering if maybe your savegames are in a hidden folder... that might be why you can't see it... have you tried just doing a file search for "eschalon" ??
Hallr
Initiate

Post by Hallr »

Nope that didn't help. But at least the savegame folder appeared when I reinstalled the game, though it only contains an empty tmp folder, desktop.ini and eschalon.cfg. But it turns out that the folder is read-only. And when I turn this off, Windows just turns it back on. The save game folder is located in the [user]/Dokumenter (norwegian for documents) folder, which also is read-only. I tried turning writing protection off on the dokumenter folder, but Windows does the same - turn it back on. So at least I have figured out the problem, but how do I fix it?
Hallr
Initiate

Post by Hallr »

Or maybe that wasn't the problem. I fixed it by deliting the whole directory and when I ran the game it created a new, working save-folder. Let's hope it lasts.
katybird
Pledge

Post by katybird »

I have had this error consistently for the last couple of days. I also have vista so maybe that's part of the problem? :) That error isn't so annoying as I can save again over the deleted save, I just have to make sure it saved before continuing. The really irritating bug is that about half the time when I go to load from Quicksave, it kicks me out of the game. :evil: It doesn't happen when I'm not already in a game, and I don't think it happens with the other saves (I don't use them as much). Could these problems be related?
Architekt
Initiate

Post by Architekt »

I'm also getting this quite often. I had it with v1.04 and also with v1.05. I can 'fix' it by copying one of the other "slot<num>" directories in my save folder and renaming the copied version to "slot1". This seems to happen anywhere. Once the error occurs, if you were to do a non-quicksave, you'll notice that the list of save games is entirely blank. I'm not quicksaving quickly at all. I will hit quicksave maybe once every few minutes if I'm in a particularly hard area. I've attached a screenshot of what the error looks like.

Edit: also attached a pic of what it looks like if you try to bring up the regular save window once you get the error (just got this problem a 2nd time since I posted, btw).
Attachments
save dialog
save dialog
error2.JPG (87.01 KiB) Viewed 16776 times
screenshot
screenshot
error_saving_game.JPG (75.62 KiB) Viewed 16776 times
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Ok...so when the game tries to save, it first DELETES the entire directory (slot) you are saving to, then the game recreates it. This is done because anytime you use the Quick Save feature, or overwrite an existing game, the chosen slot must be completely clean or data corruption may occur. Rather than deleting the folder content one file at a time, we just scrub the entire folder and recreate it.

If the game fails to successfully make a DeleteDir() call, you'll get the error message seen in the screenshot above. If the error occurred during the create directory process, you'd get a CREDIR error.

So the question would be, why does this fail for some people? Personally, I have never seen this error on any computer here in the studio. It was never noticed during the beta testing process with any of our testers.

Also, what system(s) is this error occurring on?
Architekt
Initiate

Post by Architekt »

Windows XP SP3 32 bit. I can zip up my save directory and send it to you if it's of any use. I should note that I didn't start to see this until quite late in the game, after roughly 5 or 6 or so hours in. I don't know if that makes any difference.
Architekt
Initiate

Post by Architekt »

Is it possible that the directory is somehow read only? Depending on the function you're using, deleting a directory will fail if the directory is read-only: you have to remove the read-only attribute first. In looking at the properites on my save directories, they appear to have that 3rd checkbox state for the read-only setting...as in it's not unselected and not fully/normally selected. But in viewing the files underneath the directory, all are read/write, so not sure if that's the case.

Also, if you're trying to delete the directory but there's a file handle still open to the directory or sub files, it'll fail...maybe something's not being released before you try to nuke the directory? The next time it happens I'll try to remember to check and see if there's any open file handles lingering about.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Just out of curiosity, what language/region is your Windows version?