Random Crash to Desktop

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book I
Legendary_Gamer
Initiate

Random Crash to Desktop

Post by Legendary_Gamer »

I haven't touched the game again after this... I was kind of sick after loosing so much progress, as in hours of progress...

But what happened was, I quick traveled one place, said oops and then quick traveled to another and got dumped to the desktop. I should have saved in the 4+ hours I was playing but at one point I was asleep and then resumed playing. That's what happens when you work all day and fall asleep sitting up...

My system specs are as follows:

Personally built System
Athlon x2 6000+ (Dual Core 3.0Ghz)
two 8600GT's 512MB DDR2 each in SLI (With SLI disabled for the Game)
4 Gigs of DDR2 800 Memory
Windows XP SP3 RC (I have had no other instabilities with the late Release Candidate for SP3, but who knows...).
A RAID 5 Array with 5 80 Gig Western Digital Caviar drives running at 7200 RPM
Diamond 7.1 Digital Audio running Digital ONLY through Coax connection
Hauppauge WINTV-HVR 1600 for capture

Just wanted to bring it up, because it has happened to me before... Just not with the Quick Travel, I was dumped to the desktop unceremoniously.

Thanks
"It matters not how straight the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll, I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -William Earnest Henley's Invictus
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

I'm sorry for your crash, LG.

Seriously, Book I is a very stable game and very, very few people have actually reported crash-to-desktop issues. It's going to be almost impossible to guess what the problem may be, but the SP3 could possibly be it, especially since it's in pre-release form.

Anyone else seen a crash like this with Quick Travel?

p.s. - Dude, your avatar pic is hilarious!
Legendary_Gamer
Initiate

Cool

Post by Legendary_Gamer »

Thanks for addressing my post so quickly. I think I'll just sit down and start looking at what's running and what's not. I agree about the game being very stable. Something odd may be happening to my system, I never have the time to really do diagnostics anymore since I'm always doing them to other people's systems for a living...

Or I don't want to look closer at my own problems!

TY about the Avatar, I can never stop laughing when I look at it. Not sure where I found it, but I knew I had to have it!

J
"It matters not how straight the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll, I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -William Earnest Henley's Invictus