Chest Slider Beast strikes again.

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book I
Grimdaddy
Initiate

Chest Slider Beast strikes again.

Post by Grimdaddy »

I recently discovered your game, played the demo, and promptly bought it. It has been fantastic so far, and helping me through a nasty bout of illness.

It has also been totally bug free, save one issue: I cannot use the sliders on Pin Chests.

At least most of the time. I was able to get the correct number on my very first one, (the 167 chest), but never again. I now have two chests to which I have the code, but I cannot open them.

Normally I would simply search the support forum of a game, find that someone had already had my issue, and not bother anyone further. But this time the fix will not work. I found this thread: http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=537

I tried exiting and reloading; then exiting, quitting, and restarting - nothing works so far. I have tried over 10 times at each chest, and have had to quit in failure.

I know that it is a lot to ask, but would it be possible to add keypad or arrow key functionality to this particular aspect of the game? Or perhaps a parser to simply type in the number. I have no idea why this afflicts me, I have no trouble with my mouse in other games. Any help that you can offer would be very appreciated, as its really keeping me from moving on.

Thanks, the game is otherwise great. Its good to see games like this still being made.
Grimdaddy
Initiate

Post by Grimdaddy »

I realized that I has foolishly forgotten to mention the version number, which is 1.04. :oops:
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Some people say that grabbing the slider and whipping it back and forth quickly a couple times will let you access the number you want.

Or try letting off the mouse and re-grabbing the slider. For example, the slider starts at zero (which I guess is considered an "even" number) so if you can't hit the number you want, move the slider a bit bit to an odd number, then let off the mouse button and re-grab the slider...hopefully you'll be able to reach the number you want.

Sorry this slider function is wonky. We'll have something better for Book II.
Grimdaddy
Initiate

Post by Grimdaddy »

I had already tried the "whipping" technique, out of sheer frustration, I admit.
Sadly it did not work, and neither did the new idea you left for me (the releasing on odds/evens). Nothing I do will work. For instance, at the Ossuary, I am able to land on 92, 94, 97, and 100. But never 98.

Which is really bad for me, as my character uses bows quite a bit - not to mention the irritation of having the game work perfectly otherwise, only to be held back by this silly issue.

The Whistling Cave chest has the same issue, it will land on nearly any number but the correct one.

Is there anything I can do? I really don't want to have this be a dead issue, as I not only purchased the game, but a hard copy as well. I would hate to have to give up on being able to play it properly.

Any suggestions or fixes that you can think of would be appreciated.
Thanks!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Are you in Windowed mode? Try going full screen which will stretch the slider out out further, increasing the range the slider travels.

...or, try going windowed if you've been playing full screen.
Grimdaddy
Initiate

Post by Grimdaddy »

Thanks for the quick response.
I had been playing in Full Screen, so I gave Windowed a try. Sadly, it gave me the exact same results (trying the Ossuary Chest again). Its so odd, because it does not seem to have any predictable pattern when it comes to odds, evens, etc. But the pattern is always the same, no matter how many times I restart the program: 92, 92, 97, 100.

:cry: Any other ideas? I'll try them all.
Grimdaddy
Initiate

Post by Grimdaddy »

Err, that second 92 was a 94, as I am sure you know. Still sick here, sorry.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

How about slowing your Mouse's acceleration down? Do you have one of those fancy mice that are wicked fast and have a super-high DPI? If so, slow it down, or go into your control panel and reduce the acceleration of your mouse down.

This is an odd problem because it had never effected me! :?
Grimdaddy
Initiate

Post by Grimdaddy »

Hah, nicely done. Yeah, I have one of those mice - its fairly old though, as mice go, so it had not really dawned on my that it would be a problem. I tend to use the mouse at a high DPI, to minimize movement.

I slowed the speed down so that it took 4-5 passes to get across the screen, and that allowed me to set the tumbler correctly, and get my bow.

Thanks for all the help - I really appreciate it, and look forward to the next game.
Krafen
Council Member

Post by Krafen »

Gotta love this level of support for a game. :)
Grimdaddy
Initiate

Post by Grimdaddy »

Krafen wrote:Gotta love this level of support for a game. :)
Yeah, you really do. Its yet another reason I love buying indie games, they make sure you can actually play their game. :wink:
Jude
Council Member

Post by Jude »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:How about slowing your Mouse's acceleration down? Do you have one of those fancy mice that are wicked fast and have a super-high DPI? If so, slow it down, or go into your control panel and reduce the acceleration of your mouse down.

This is an odd problem because it had never effected me! :?
I'll have to remember that! I'm using a Razer Krait and it's likely I'll run into the same problem...

Jude
Jude's Wondrous Universe
http://www.icubed.com/~judelk