Game Save location on Vista PCs not found

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book I
moore70
Pledge

Game Save location on Vista PCs not found

Post by moore70 »

I know saved games are supposed to be in the My Documents folder, but they aren't, that I can see anyway. I've looked in my "My Documents" as well as the users and shared document folders. I've tried using search to find something but couldn't. What do the saved game files look like? Do i need to search for all files with a specific extension?

I saved a game under the Demo version... downloaded and installed the full version, which it put in a separate directory... but I can't find any saved games anywhere. I opened up my last Fast Save in the Demo version, and saved it in slot 1 as "Dennis1". Searching the system for Dennis1 turned up nothing, so I figured the game must save the file under something else.

If I open the full version and try to load a saved game, all slots are empty. Then, if I go back to the Demo, it still recognizes them and is able to load under the demo game.

I am running Vista Home Premium and just downloaded the demo 2-3 days ago and the full version today (March 16) so I'm assuming I have the latest version.

Any ideas where to search, or flat out where it's at? Thanks!
cusabe
Pledge

Re: Game Save location on Vista PCs not found

Post by cusabe »

I have this same situation and would like to continue my game that I starte in the demo version. Something to do with Windows Vista? I've looked in My Documents, in another dirctory called Saved Games, in the Eschalon folder in Program Files, etc... It is very strange because the demo version must be saving the saved games somewhere...
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

The method we came up with to avoid problems with odd characters sometimes causes the saved game directory to go odd places.

Search the hard disk for the file "35.map" which will be with your saved games. You'll find one copy of that file in your "Eschalon/Book I/maps" folder which is not what you want...you want the copy(s) stored in the "slot" folder(s). Once you find that file, you can of course see the path that will lead you to the slot folders where each saved game is held.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
cusabe
Pledge

Post by cusabe »

Excellent. that worked! The search found the savegames buried in the directory structure of "My Documents" associated with my user profile, ie something like:
"C:\Users\[myusername]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Eschalon Book 1 Demo..."
Thanks guys!