Slow or is it just me?

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book I
morgul
Initiate

Slow or is it just me?

Post by morgul »

Firstly I'd like to say that this game is really awesome =). I have the full version.

Also I found out how to dupe stackable items exponentially lol, but I stopped because it ruins the fun.

Well as you guessed from the title of this thread, my character walks kind of slow...and I'm not sure if it's just my computer (which IS Vista--meaning that it's naturally slow lol) or just part of the game?

Normally I'd think it's just my computer but I found it strange that I can walk faster and what appears to be a reasonable speed underground/aboveground.

My guess would be that (if it is my computer), it's just slow in any main map and when I go underground/aboveground, the map is much smaller so it's faster to buffer (if the game uses this method)/display?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Well, Vista is a resource hog, so it is partially to blame. You never mentioned your system specs so I don't know about those.

Try running the game in 16-bit color, or switch from DirectX to OpenGL. That can have a big effect on some computers.
Linuxone66
Initiate

Post by Linuxone66 »

Ive noticed that when I play the game on my desktop machine...2gig 64bit amd with 2gig ram and 512 vid card...the game runs smooth as but when playing the game on my laptop....same save games, 2gig 32bit intel with only 512 ram and 64 vid card.....it all slows down a lot when there are a lot of trees around....in towns and dungeons my char walks and fights at the same speed as my big machine, but out in the open its very slow. obviously this is because of the dif in hardware and probably in the vid card most of all.
changing to 16bit does nothing for the performance of the game.

Don't worry though as I have just bought the game and am loving it.
Cheers
Linuxone66

Does anyone have the keys?

Linux User #375045

Yep :D
realmzmaster
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by realmzmaster »

I have notice that the video card that is in the computer has an amazing effect on the game. It has to do with all the special effects that BW and others have programmed into the game. The game may look old school, but some of the effects are definitely not.
History is written by the winners!