Game will not start

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book I
BradleyUffner
Initiate

Game will not start

Post by BradleyUffner »

I was running fine earlier today, then hit an error with not being able to save games which caused me to lose several hours of time. After fixing that I found the 1.04 patch, which i installed. Not whenever i try to run the game it's window jsut flashes up on screen for a second, then closes. No errors, just no game.

I'm not very happy about my purchase at this point. Please help me fix this before I need to start asking about a refund.
BradleyUffner
Initiate

Re: Game will not start

Post by BradleyUffner »

I switched the renderer from DirectX to OpenGL and there was no change.

I've also noticed that it creates an "empty" save game directory inside the program directory before it crashes out.
BradleyUffner
Initiate

Post by BradleyUffner »

I never meant that as a threat, but I can see how it could be taken that way. I should have worded that better, I apologize. I guess it was just some of the frustration showing through from losing several hours of the game.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

First of all, who did you buy the game from (Basilisk Games, Reflexive, Greenhouse, etc.)?

Secondly, what version of Windows are you running it on?

At this point, without knowing anything else, I would recommend completely removing the game and all saves, then reinstall a fresh copy and try again.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
BradleyUffner
Initiate

Post by BradleyUffner »

I bought the game from Greenhouse.

I'm running amd quad core duo, 2.6ghz, 4gb ram, windows vista ultimate x64.
the game was set to run in windowed mode, 32bpp, directx when it was working. Since it's stopped working I've tried manually editing the .cfg file to openGL, full screen, and 16bpp in different combination with no affect. I've also tried setting the .exe to run in xp sp2 compatability mode.

I jsut tried making a backup of the saved games, and then totally uninstalling, then reinstalling from the orriginal greenhouse executable. The game runs now, but when I lose my progress. If I copy the backup saved games in they don't function.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Getting the game running by uninstalling and re-installing is perfect.

Now then, inside the old saved game folder, just copy the slot that you want over to the new working version. You were probably trying to use the entire Saved Games folder and there must be something corrupt in there. Just copy the one good slot over and try that.
BradleyUffner
Initiate

Post by BradleyUffner »

I managed to find one of the saved games that wasnt corrupted. Thanks for your help!
Canfu
Pledge

Post by Canfu »

Ok, I'm having the exact same problem- I installed the patch, now the game won't start. It pops up a minimized window (assuming it's the launcher), then crashes. I uninstalled, re-downloaded the game and the patch, installed the game, installed the patch, and still having the problem.

I was having a lot of crashing issues, which led me to look for a patch. Hoping the patch can address the issues I was having, and after scanning the forum I plan to try switching to OpenGL if I can get the game working again.

I'm about to reinstall again- but in the event that it doesn't resolve the issue, thought I'd throw this out there to see if anyone has figured out what causes this issue. My system barely exceeds the minimums, running on Windows XP.

Thanks!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Okay...here is the problem:

The version of Book I that Basilisk Games sells is: 1.04. The patch that everyone is referring to is only for people who bought the game from us back before January 2008. Any copy of the game bought before that date is either 1.00 , 1.01 , 1.02 , or 1.03. This patch updates the game to the latest version.

The Greenhouse version of the game is 1.042c ... you do not want to apply the 1.04 patch to the Greenhouse version, because version 1.042c is already beyond that of the 1.04 patch.

The higher revision of the Greenhouse version has to do with with a few internal changes to the game. The gameplay itself is no different between Basilisk Game's version 1.04 and Greenhouse's version 1.042c.

If you have bought the Greenhouse version, do NOT patch it with the existing 1.04 patch. It will break your game.

If you have the Greenhouse version and you have already used the 1.04 patch on it, uninstall everything and reinstall your Greenhouse version. It is already the latest version of the game available and does not need patched.
Canfu
Pledge

Post by Canfu »

Awesome, thanks BW. That was definitely the issue then.

I reinstalled and switched to OpenGL, and somewhere along the way my original issues were mostly solved (no more crashing, still some drastic slow-downs in certain areas).

Thanks!