Right click doesn't work (at all?)

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book I
myndzi
Pledge

Right click doesn't work (at all?)

Post by myndzi »

I thought I'd check this out so I downloaded the demo. At character creation I was a little frustrated because I couldn't remove skill points after an accidental click, but when I went ahead anyway I found that I couldn't right-click on the note in the chest at the very beginning either. This doesn't bode well for getting anywhere :roll:

Certainly I'd like to see this fixed, but also I think that the UI could be improved as well. Having right-click as the only way to do important things doesn't make much sense; there could as easily also be a button for "Use item" or arrows to add/remove skills from the list.

Anyway, hope somebody can help, this looks interesting!

Edit: Oh, yeah. Any possibility of widescreen resolutions in full screen mode?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Right click doesn't work (at all?)

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Two solutions....

1) You can hold down Left-CTRL and then left-click, to simulate a right click.

2) Reboot your computer. We used a timing mechanism in the Character Creation screen that seems to go buggy if the computer has not been rebooted for a number of days. Try a fresh reboot and see if that fixes your mouse problem.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
myndzi
Pledge

Post by myndzi »

Right CTRL + LClick does not work (nor does left CTRL). HID-compliant mouse and keyboard (both USB), WinXP Pro SP3. I'm not fond of rebooting to make anything work. I may try it and report back but I won't be playing (or buying) anything that requires it.
myndzi
Pledge

Post by myndzi »

I think you've got your priorities reversed. Only in the computer world do people put up with problems that require rebooting continually to "solve". Let's just hope that the same never applies to, say, medical machinery.

"Oh, the heart-rate monitor fucks up if you leave it on too long, just reboot it and it'll be fine for a while."

Get off your high-horse, fanboy.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

myndzi, I completely understand your side on this. I agree, it seems ridiculous to reboot to make a computer game work. I agree that it would be unacceptable if this was a requirement for a critical piece of machinery such as a life support device, but it are just talking about a PC...not even a server, just a PC.

We used a 32-bit integer to store the system timer for certain timing functions. When a PC has been left on for a long time, this 32-bit integer is overloaded, breaking the function that we put in the game. Some mouse clicks are linked to this, as well as several other functions.

This is fixed already in the next game, but it is unlikely to be fixed in Book I because we would have to rip out and replace large chucks of code, which is really too dangerous (i.e., fixing one bug often introduces others) when the simple workaround is to reboot your computer once per week. I am sorry that this is unacceptable for you, but I actually do understand.

Locking...
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.