Can't run demo

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book I
Marios
Pledge

Can't run demo

Post by Marios »

Hi, i've just stambled upon Eschalon and it really seems great, so i've downloaded the demo but when i try to run it, i get a "Error: Unable to create Saved Games directory in C:/Documents and Settings/Marios/<My Documents in Greek>/Eschalon Book 1 Saved Games/" message and the demo won't run.

Now, this might sound as if the installation was made from some other account, but there really is no other account on my computer and of course this account ("Marios") has administrative priviledges.

The "My Documents" folder on the path displayed in the error message is displayed in gibberish letters (which is probably due to the fact that it should have been Greek letters and the game can't display them), so is it possible that the game fails to access the Greek named folder?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks a lot!

Marios
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Can't run demo

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

The game has problems saving the game to non-English accounts (usernames with Cyrillic characters). I am not sure if a workaround has been found other than creating a new account without those characters, then playing the game form that account.

For Book II, we have addressed this problem by allowing the player to set the exact directory to be used to save games to. This required a rewrite of the way we initialize the game and so it's not a "quick fix" and won't be patched into Book I at this time. However, we will probably address this problem when we do a complete trilogy release in the future.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Marios
Pledge

Post by Marios »

Well, it seems that the problem is that i have the Greek version of Windows, therefore the "My Documents" folder is translated in Greek (due to localization). But, since you verified that the game has problems with such fonts, i just redefined the "My Documents" folder to some other folder, properly named and everything works fine!

Thanks a lot for the help!

Marios
seraulu1
Pledge

Post by seraulu1 »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:The game has problems saving the game to non-English accounts (usernames with Cyrillic characters). I am not sure if a workaround has been found other than creating a new account without those characters, then playing the game form that account.

For Book II, we have addressed this problem by allowing the player to set the exact directory to be used to save games to. This required a rewrite of the way we initialize the game and so it's not a "quick fix" and won't be patched into Book I at this time. However, we will probably address this problem when we do a complete trilogy release in the future.
Thanks for that! how to hypnotize someone