not loading

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book I
jacksanto
Pledge

not loading

Post by jacksanto »

i got the trial of this game and whenever i tried playing it, it didnt load... not even a screen popped up{well, the trial launcher thingy did}. i went to one of my friends whom had this game and he lent me his copy so that i can see if i like it. same problem it would give the mouse an hourglass then nothing. im running windows ME {parents lent out windows xp disk :/}
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: not loading

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Your best bet for getting it to run on Windows ME is to make sure your system is 100% up-to-date. You need all Windows updates and the most current drivers.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
mushpuppy
Initiate

Post by mushpuppy »

I also can't get the game to load. I'm using XP Pro. I doubleclick on the demo icon; I get an hourglass, then nothing. I check running processes and it doesn't show.

I also tried running it in 256 colors, in 640x480 mode, in compatibility modes of various older versions of Windows, but it won't start. All I've succeeded in doing is resetting my desktop to 640x480 mode.

Weird thing is that I got the demo to run once. Then I uninstalled the demo. Upon reinstalling it, nope won't work. I also tried uninstalling and searching for registry references to the game to delete them.

Sad thing is that the one time I played it I liked it! Sure would be nice to figure out how to get it running again so I could play it--and presumably buy the full version.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Are you running a non-English version of windows...or have non-English characters in your username?
mushpuppy
Initiate

Post by mushpuppy »

Unfortunately nope. In fact, I uninstalled the demo again and downloaded it from this site again. Installed it, and--same thing.

It sure seems to me as though some registry entry isn't getting deleted. I hadn't installed anything after running the demo for the first time, so I don't otherwise understand why it wouldn't work.

Here's exactly my history:
I installed the demo from this site, ran it fine for about 10 minutes (right up to fighting maybe 3 alligator-looking things), then saved my game, exited, tried to reload, couldn't, and uninstalled. Reinstalled, got the hourglass, then the game wouldn't start. Started tinkering with the compatibility settings before resetting them to default. None of them made a difference anyhow except as indicated above. Then today uninstalled, downloaded from this site, reinstalled, and got the same thing.

No non-English characters in my name and the mirror I used was gamershell. Got XP from my local Best Buy. I've got 4gb RAM in my pc, a 1920x1280 monitor, 2 nvidia gtx280s with the latest drivers.

Is there maybe a pointer in the registry that doesn't refer to basiliskgames or eschalon? I mean I'm stumped!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

mushpuppy wrote:Is there maybe a pointer in the registry that doesn't refer to basiliskgames or eschalon? I mean I'm stumped!
Nope- we don't touch the registry. I am an oldschool purist and I prefer things stay in easy-to-edit .cfg and .ini files. This also makes the game code easy to compile on Mac and Linux when we don't mess with the Registry.

Are you getting to the launch menu, or not even that far?
mushpuppy
Initiate

Post by mushpuppy »

Ah-HA! If I install it into the default directory, it works. If I install it into my own directory, it doesn't.

In the interest of trying to help you troubleshoot, to answer your question, nope I'd just get the hourglass, then nothing. Ctrl-alt-tab wouldn't even show it as a running process.

But I suspect that telling you that bit about the directory assignment probably helps more.