Warlord does not drop key; praying I can finish game.

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book I
ggorden
Pledge

Warlord does not drop key; praying I can finish game.

Post by ggorden »

First, the trip through Eschalon has been a blast from the past. Turns out I missed turn based games. But I seem to be stuck one key short, or at least one correct key short, of going up the stairs at the Citadel.

I arrived in Shadowmirk with only one key, from Vela. I got the one from Eurobor, then the giant, then hunted around Grimhold for anything I missed. I found and killed a warlord who dropped ... an 'odd key'. There is nothing else moving anywhere in Grimhold ... not east, not west, not the water station. Reading elsewhere on the board that the red key can sometimes disappear, I revisited Eurobor. The third level of Shadowmirk had been reset (i.e. my mini-map was blank when I entered), but taking the items out of the chest did not increase my number of keys, nor give me an additional widget.

I have v 1.05 from Steam. I fervently hope you can help me finish the game.

Thanks for any advice you can give me. :)
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Warlord does not drop key; praying I can finish game.

Post by Randomizer »

The goblin you killed in Grimmhold near the map's center for the odd key isn't a warlord. That key helps you get into rooms in the west side [about (46,160) in map coordinates] where the goblin warlord is staying, but usually the goblins open that locked door when they attack you.
ggorden
Pledge

Post by ggorden »

Thanks Randomizer.

Unfortunately I have already gotten that warlord. So I think the game is just unfinishable for this character.
Drats. I cannot remember the title, but there was an ancient SSI game where I ran into a similar problem; you needed a minotaur in your party to enter the final dungeon, and I had passed up the opportunity to add that minotaur. At least I am more inclined to try Eschalon again than the SSI title. :?
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

There is a way, not strictly within the rules of the game, to give yourself a fourth key since something happened so you couldn't get yours. If you look around the forum, you'll find information about editing the inventory file for your saved character and giving yourself an extra key.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
King_ov_Death
Senior Council Member

Post by King_ov_Death »

Or perhaps you can reset Shadowmirk's last level and grab Erubor's key again. You need four keys to enter the Citadel, but they don't have to be one of each colour. As long as you have four, you'll be alright.