Lost saved games

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book I
deborah183
Initiate

Lost saved games

Post by deborah183 »

I just bought the game and it has not transferred my saved games from the Demo. I've never had a game not do that. Can I please get some help on how to fix this as I am not interested in starting over.

I am running Vista
Dell XPS 420
3.00 GB
32 bit OS

Thanks.
Deborah
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Lost saved games

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

You probably were playing an older demo, while the newer full game we may have changed the location of the saved games.

You can do a system wide search for the file "eschalon.cfg" which should be present in both the old saved games folder and the new saved games folder. By comparing the creation date of the folders, you should be able to determine which is the demo you previously installed and which is the newer full install. Copy of the contents of the save "slot" from the older folder to the newer folder, then start your game.

Let me know if you need any further help.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
deborah183
Initiate

Post by deborah183 »

I found the file but am not able to open it. What program is needed to open the file?

Deborah
deborah183
Initiate

Post by deborah183 »

I can't seem to find the saved games file from the demo. All files of the saved games are empty so that must be for the new game. I have run a system scan but haven't found them. However, when I start the demo they are there. I'm going to need some more help here.

Deborah
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Okay, try doing a system-wide search for the file "35.map". You are definitely going to find this in at least 2 locations:

1) Inside the "Data" folder where the game is installed. Don't mess with this one!

2) Inside your demo "Eschalon Book 1 Saved Games" folder. This should be in your "My Documents" folder. You should find a copy of "35.map" in each slot folder that you saved the game to while playing the demo.

Find the demo "slot #" folder that you want to continue from and copy it to the location of the empty slots that you said you found.

The way I would do it would be to right-click on the slot folder you want to copy, select "copy" (this will copy the folder and all the contents), then go to the new "Eschalon Book 1 Saved Games" folder and paste the slot to it- the computer will ask you if you want to overwrite (or merge) the existing slot folder with the same name, and you should say yes.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
deborah183
Initiate

Post by deborah183 »

I did the system search

I have found 35.map in

1. data c:\programfiles\eschlon book 1

2. data c:\programfiles\eschlon book 1 demo

There is no such files in the My Documents. All saved games in that location are empty files. However, they must be somewhere as I can still play saved games on the Demo, I just can't find where they are stored.

I just started up the new game and did a save. The new saves show up in the folders in the My Documents. However, there must be some other place that the Demo saves are...!

Deborah

I HAVE FIGURED IT OUT!!! Thanks to Marshall in this thread (who was accused of being a Bot):

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2344&p=19567&hilit= ... mes#p19567

I found the files in users/appdata/local/virtualstore/programfiles(x86)/eschalonbookI
I then did what was suggested and copied slot 1 and am now able to restore that game in the new game. Thanks to Marshall! :D

This might be good information for anyone else with the same problem.

Thanks for all your help, BW.

Deborah
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Lol, Marshall is his rank, not his name... ^_^ He's not a bot, but he has been accused of Necromancy... :shock:

Plus, his posts were not what assisted you... it was Andiar's... ;)
deborah183
Initiate

Post by deborah183 »

Oops. :shock: New here.

Thanks for clarifying.

Deborah