DELDIR has Absolutely Ruined My Game Again

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book I
LordFess
Initiate

DELDIR has Absolutely Ruined My Game Again

Post by LordFess »

I thought I had solved this problem by deleting all the old saved files from when I was playing the Demo. Everything went perfect until right before I finished Grimhold East....When I went to save a game I noticed almost all my saved games had disappeared........... I tryed to save a game in the same slot where one had been before and I got an error. so I saved a game in a slot I had not used before and it said it was a success,but when i went back to it all the entries had disappeared including quick save.
I went into the load game area and clicked a blank spot and the game crashes to the desktop........
I went to the place on my hard drive where the saves are stored and saw several saved games there but some folders were missing..... How can I continue to play this game if this is going to keep happening ? I do not know what to do....
Last edited by LordFess on August 3rd, 2010, 9:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: DELDIR has Absolutely Ruined My Game Again

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

This is very odd. Where did you buy and download your copy of the game?
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
LordFess
Initiate

Post by LordFess »

It's is odd indeed and very,very frustrating as well.... I had such a good character too..... why oh why?? I have the Steam Version of the game. it says Steam ver. 1.05
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

My best guess is that there's something in Steam's packaging that is creating this problem. Having never used Steam, I have no idea how their customer support is, but you might check with them.
---

LordFess
Initiate

Post by LordFess »

Honestly Kreadore unless all the folks on this thread viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1194 are using Steam then I would believe it's a Steam issue.....but I seriously don't think thats the case here. This problem IMHO is a game stopping bug that got past the devs somehow. I think Basilisk really should address this issue as soon as possible. Anyway I did contact them to my sincere regrett for a refund to credited to my account ,but I don't know their policy on refunds for games that don't work.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

LordFess wrote:Honestly Kreadore unless all the folks on this thread viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1194 are using Steam then I would believe it's a Steam issue.....but I seriously don't think thats the case here. This problem IMHO is a game stopping bug that got past the devs somehow. I think Basilisk really should address this issue as soon as possible. Anyway I did contact them to my sincere regrett for a refund to credited to my account ,but I don't know their policy on refunds for games that don't work.
Well, this is clearly a Windows only issue, and even then it's a small sub-set of users, so there's most likely something that you and the others who've encountered this problem have installed (some specific anti-virus software or drive utility or some such) which is interfering with the game's ability to delete the old save directory and create the new one. Try e-mailing BW directly (info at basiliskgames.com) and share as much information as you can about your system and utilities.

If this had been a widespread issue, it would have been much more widely encountered and dealt with in development, I'm quite certain, but Windows is so broadly modified by third-party utilities and different system builds that it's really hard to make something that somebody somewhere doesn't break.
---

LordFess
Initiate

Post by LordFess »

Thanks Kreador! I will shoot them an email when I get home from work tonight so I can give them my PC info.

I was thinking this might be a Windows 7 or Vista compatability problem, but I saw on that other thread that there were some there with Windows XP that were having the same problem as well.

I love this game Kreador and really,really wish I could play it. Thanks for all your excellant help in game and out!
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

LordFess wrote: I love this game Kreador and really,really wish I could play it. Thanks for all your excellant help in game and out!
It's a shame you ran into an elusive bug that didn't get fixed before the final Book I release. I do suggest trying out Book II, however - I don't recall seeing any mention of a similar issue there. Maybe you could ask Basilisk Wrangler for an exchange for Book II instead of a refund?
LordFess
Initiate

Post by LordFess »

Thanks SpottedShroom (love that name BTW) for your thoughtful comments
and suggestions.. I will contact BasiliskWrangler and see what he has to say!! Thanks again!
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

LordFess wrote:Thanks SpottedShroom (love that name BTW)
It's mostly a reference to the "Black Spotted Shroom" reagent in Book II, but I do like actual mushrooms, too. I'm not aware of any real ones with black spots, though, so I went with amanita muscaria for my picture.
Ravenlock
Pledge

Post by Ravenlock »

I just purchased the game and its sequel off Impulse, and almost immediately encountered this bug. In the very first broken-down town outside the starting area, there is an Inn with a locked door upstairs. I saved my game before attempting to pick the lock, and after failing and trying to reload that save game, the game crashed to desktop. When I started it back up and loaded the game successfully, I managed to pick the lock - when I tried to save the game after that, I was told the quicksave could not save because of a DELDIR error, and the save list was blank.

I tried to make a manual save and it seemed to succeed, but it still does not show up in the save game list (which is still blank). When I try to load the save position where I put the now-invisible manual save, sometimes it loads, and sometimes it crashes to desktop.

Very disheartening to encounter this right away, and then to come here and read that somebody else is also having the problem but that it's being referred to as "extremely rare". Maybe it is, but it's also my first experience with a game I just bought, and doesn't lend me much confidence towards the rest of it. :(

EDIT: The advice in this thread to delete the quicksave directory did work, but it also happened again after only two more game saves. Disappointing bug to have to deal with.