Game Lock up

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book I
Aztaz
Pledge

Game Lock up

Post by Aztaz »

I keep experiencing a windows exception error when I go into the last section of the tomb. I am running widows 7 64-bit with a 1.05 (Impulse) version of the game. I have tried switching from directX to OpenGL also have tried setting the game to run in Windows XP SP3 mode and still get the crash. Any ideas? Should I send a file to someone in support?
Aztaz
Pledge

Re: Game Lock up

Post by Aztaz »

Further info: It locks up on the North Parish Family Crypt map
I have also tried installing on a windows XP machine and lock up still occurs.

The Error:

Windows exception error: Exception_Access_violation
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Aztaz wrote:I keep experiencing a windows exception error when I go into the last section of the tomb. I am running widows 7 64-bit with a 1.05 (Impulse) version of the game. I have tried switching from directX to OpenGL also have tried setting the game to run in Windows XP SP3 mode and still get the crash. Any ideas? Should I send a file to someone in support?

Further info: It locks up on the North Parish Family Crypt map
I have also tried installing on a windows XP machine and lock up still occurs.

The Error:
Windows exception error: Exception_Access_violation
My first suggestion is to read this thread - I'm starting you off here - to make sure you're not missing any of these sound files. If you are, download BW's .zip file, and put those sounds into the game's Sound folder.
Aztaz
Pledge

Post by Aztaz »

Appears to have fixed it. thanks
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Aztaz wrote:Appears to have fixed it. thanks
Cool! :)

Still, someone (BW, maybe?...) probably needs to contact Impulse, and make sure they've grabbed the very latest compile of v1.05 so that these kinds of things don't happen to anyone else!
Aztaz
Pledge

Post by Aztaz »

Okay the lock up is now occurring at another location (just outside the mercenaries cave on the divine ore quest)

This is getting verrrrry aggravating!!
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Aztaz wrote:Okay the lock up is now occurring at another location (just outside the mercenaries cave on the divine ore quest)

This is getting verrrrry aggravating!!
You're not the only one reporting these issues with the new v1.05 compile - E-mail BW at info AT basiliskgames DOT com (or, possibly, support AT basiliskgames DOT com) and tell him exactly what OS system you are using, and what is causing the game to crash.

Hopefully, BW can track these issues down soon...
usedmanatee
Initiate

Post by usedmanatee »

I'm going to throw my hat in for a problem with the Impulse version. Will email directly (though it seems mine is crashing at the same place - last section of the first graveyard where I'm going to get my amulet).

Is it possible to use the serial # from Stardock to activate a regular version or am I stuck with Stardock? It really surprises me that they're pushing broken versions down, they're usually pretty good.

--

The download of sounds from the Mac thread fixed my crash here. Will follow up on any subsequent crashes.
JasonJoel
Initiate

Post by JasonJoel »

Well, I ran into the same crash in the Crypt. The ZIP file fixed that one.

I have had a few more access violation crashes since then though. Twice when I got killed during battle.

There is clearly still something wrong/missing. Seems weird that a missing file would crash the game anyway, but I digress.

I am running v1.05, installed from Impulse.

Jason
usedmanatee
Initiate

Post by usedmanatee »

Sounds like Impulse needs a complete refresh. At this point I wish I could just get a trade-over to a direct from Basilisk version :/ waited years to buy it on deep sale and it's kind of wacky.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

All these lock ups and crashes should be fixed with version 1.06. I will be sending a new version to Impulse/Steam/Direct2Drive in the next 24 hours.

Thank you for your patience everyone!!
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
JasonJoel
Initiate

Post by JasonJoel »

Great news. Thanks.

Jason
usedmanatee
Initiate

Post by usedmanatee »

Thanks very much, BW. Will be on the lookout for Impulse to push a new version.
ums
JasonJoel
Initiate

Post by JasonJoel »

Dumb question... How long does it usually take for the new version to show up on a service like Impulse?

Jason
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

JasonJoel wrote:Dumb question... How long does it usually take for the new version to show up on a service like Impulse?

Jason
A few days...or sometimes longer. Games like Eschalon are not a priority to them, so if they are busy launching some big AAA game it may take longer to get ours updated.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.