Repeatable crash in Crypt

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book I
Naburimannu
Pledge

Repeatable crash in Crypt

Post by Naburimannu »

I picked up Eschalon Books I + II on Impulse yesterday, and am a bit disappointed that my first viable (?) character has run into a recurring crash in the crypt - essentially the first serious plot dungeon.

After passing through the door into the "secure" area, I always crash going through the next lever-activated gateway with an "EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION" error from windows.

Skimming other bug reports here, I tried walking out of the dungeon, saving, deleting the three 35_crypt files from that new save game, reloading, and repeating the crypts - and still get the same crash.

Any ideas what to do now? I don't want to start another character with this bug possibly looming 1.5-2 hours in, but I don't want to jump on to Book II, either. So much for a weekend of Eschalon.

Screenshot attached. Save game or machine specs available if they'd be useful.
Attachments
Recurring EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION on walking through the same (crucial) doorway in the Crypt.
Recurring EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION on walking through the same (crucial) doorway in the Crypt.
eschalon bug.jpg (154.3 KiB) Viewed 7713 times
Vigilant
Pledge

Re: Repeatable crash in Crypt

Post by Vigilant »

Same error in the crypt here. Same place. Purchased on Impulse. Running on Win 7 Ultimate x64.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

This is a known error with the most recent build of v1.05 - it's due to some missing sound files.

Check this out. It should fix your current problem.

Still, people have reported other 'crash points' at other points in the game, even with this fix for the most recent v1.05 build. If you guys come across any of those, report them back here. Sending a Save Game to BW just before any 'crash point' will help as well.

Good luck!
Vigilant
Pledge

Post by Vigilant »

Hi, IJBall!

Copy the missing files to the sound folder solved the problem.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.
Naburimannu
Pledge

Post by Naburimannu »

Yes, thanks.
MVP7
Pledge

Post by MVP7 »

Same error here, Impulse version. Thanks for hotfix.
Longbow
Pledge

Post by Longbow »

Also Impulse version and same error. Hotfix worked but now i have this error by leaving "a mysterious cave" and when restoring a savegame in this cave.
MVP7
Pledge

Post by MVP7 »

Longbow wrote:Also Impulse version and same error. Hotfix worked but now i have this error by leaving "a mysterious cave" and when restoring a savegame in this cave.
Same error here too. Acces violation every time I exit a mysteriosu cave.

Edit. The crash occurs to me when outside, not in the cave.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

MVP7 wrote:
Longbow wrote:Also Impulse version and same error. Hotfix worked but now i have this error by leaving "a mysterious cave" and when restoring a savegame in this cave.
Same error here too. Access violation every time I exit a mysterious cave.
Help me out here - is the "mysterious cave" the one with the Barrean mercenaries? (IOW, you're not talking about The Whistling Caves with the hive drones, right?)

Anyway, one suggested workaround for this - someone reported that turning all sounds down to "0%" could avoid this(?) bug.

Give that a shot, and come back here and let us know if that works.

P.S. BW has recently announced that he's working up a v1.06 of Book I, so hopefully this issue (and all these other little 'bugs') will be fixed. But if one of you can send BW a Save Game from just before this crash point, it might help him isolate this particular bug...)
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Yep, just finished the final build of Book I 1.06. All the broken saved games that people have sent me now work. All sound files are accounted for. All Mac graphics seem to be fixed!

Yay!

Give me another 24 hours and we'll have new demos and download links available for everyone. I'll be sending new builds to Steam, Impulse, Direct2Drive and GamersGate ASAP and tell them it is a high priory that they update their versions.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Longbow
Pledge

Post by Longbow »

IJBall wrote: Help me out here - is the "mysterious cave" the one with the Barrean mercenaries?[/quote ]
Yes.
IJBall wrote: Anyway, one suggested workaround for this - someone reported that turning all sounds down to "0%" could avoid this(?) bug.
It works until you turn the sound back on.

@BasiliskWrangler
Great. :)

btw: Nice game. When i finished Book 1 i'll buy Book 2. :)